Poor fuel efficiency

Mike K.

I’m driving a 2009 Taco with 145K cross country hauling a 3000lb trailer. Currently in eastern SD. My mileage per gallon has in 2 days dropped from 12 to 6. Does anyone know if the regular gas they sell here has that dramatic of an effect on efficiency? Or is there something more dramatic I need to assess? Engine has been maintained and still runs strong. I run 87 octane and have tried with and without ethanol.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mike

I’m driving a 2009 Taco with 145K cross country hauling a 3000lb trailer. Currently in eastern SD. My mileage per gallon has in 2 days dropped from 12 to 6. Does anyone know if the regular gas they sell here has that dramatic of an effect on efficiency? Or is there something more dramatic I need to assess? Engine has been maintained and still runs strong. I run 87 octane and have tried with and without ethanol.
Mike
Clean the MAP sensor with a cleaner designed for MAP sensors only. Leave the battery can't off overnight so your truck will lose shift points. Put the cable back on and run for a week before using cruise control
Mike
You didn't say anything about spark plug changes. To test unhook your battery cable overnight and hook it up the next and drive. If it idles bad and tries to stall a lights change the plugs and clean the MAP sensor. Your mpg will improve

hi my name is jon i have 2003 tacoma 2.4l since new have 140000k yestaday start and stap when i accelerate motor run to get home i put in lower gear and acelerate if i let go the gas pedal engine will stop the truck is in the gear with motor of truck is roling what will be the problem please advise tanks jon'

If it's not missing this is what I would do. Your truck is starving for air and running rich or low fuel pressure. Dirt air filter, bad plugs, dirty throttle body, dirt injectors and weak fuel pump can cause this issue. This is dangerous. I recommend taking your vehicle to your local Toyota repair shop.

Back