power steering banjo bolt

Courthope

I am trying to replace the power steering lines on my 2001 v6 4wd. The banjo bolt that connects the high pressure line to the reservoir is seized on very tight, to the point that I rounded the bolt. I've tried PB blaster/liquid wrench, a couple of bolt extractor tools, some hammering but no go. I am reluctant to use a torch there. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know, but it also raises a question in my mind as to whether I have been stupid -- is the banjo bolt reverse threaded? Nothing I have seen suggests it is but if you have dealt with it before, please let me know. Thanks.

The banjo bolt should be right hand thread. You can do two things. Centerpunch the end of the bolt and drill the head off, well, mostly off. File or grind the rest off, pull the banjo fitting and then unthread the remaining bolt with vise grips.

You may be surprised to find a fine film of rust that is locking everything tight and causing all that grief.

Thanks for the response. It is a tight spot to drill and grind. I may need to cut the line and remove the reservoir/pump and deal with it on the bench. I am sure it is rust/time but man is it seized on.

Thanks for the response. It is a tight spot to drill and grind. I may need to cut the line and remove the reservoir/pump and deal with it on the bench. I am sure it is rust/time but man is it seized on.

That would probably be best. While you have the pump off, put some PS fluid or ATF, whichever your vehicle uses, in the pump and shake, then drain. May as well get all of the settled crap out of the pump you can while it is off. Best of luck.

PS Make sure the banjo bolt is exactly like the one you remove. Some vehicles use a bolt that have a check valve of some type built into them. Just bring your old bolt to match.

Back