Pre-collision

ScreaminYoda

Toyota Pre collision braking system had randomly told me to brake with nobody in front of me? Anyone had this happen?

2018 sr5

Toyota Pre collision braking system had randomly told me to brake with nobody in front of me? Anyone had this happen?

2018 sr5
Nature of the beast with these systems. Hasn't happened in my Tacoma yet, but in my second car, if I catch a shadow just right or a leaf blowing around just right, it'll set the system off

Seems like that could be pretty dangerous in the right circumstances.
If it were an auto-braking system, sure. But the system in the Tacoma is passive. Only displays a warning to brake. (at least, the few times mine went off, that's all it did.

Interestingly though, the system in my other car, which is also only passive, does seem to 'prime' the ABS system when it goes off. You can feel the brake pedal vibrate slightly right when the alarm goes off. Not sure if the Tacoma does that yet.

If it were an auto-braking system, sure. But the system in the Tacoma is passive. Only displays a warning to brake. (at least, the few times mine went off, that's all it did.

Interestingly though, the system in my other car, which is also only passive, does seem to 'prime' the ABS system when it goes off. You can feel the brake pedal vibrate slightly right when the alarm goes off. Not sure if the Tacoma does that yet.

Reading up on it a little it looks like the Pre-Collision/Pedestrian Detect will brake for you if you don’t respond.

Reading up on it a little it looks like the Pre-Collision/Pedestrian Detect will brake for you if you don’t respond.
Interesting. So there must be a delay in the time braking starts from when the alarm went off. Mine has gone off a couple times, but it never auto-braked on me. Maybe that delay is what determines a real 'threat' from a glitch? It assumes that if it's a legit car stopping in front of you, the signal return from that object will remain longer than a bad shadow or leaf?

Interesting. So there must be a delay in the time braking starts from when the alarm went off. Mine has gone off a couple times, but it never auto-braked on me. Maybe that delay is what determines a real 'threat' from a glitch? It assumes that if it's a legit car stopping in front of you, the signal return from that object will remain longer than a bad shadow or leaf?

It sounds like it gives you time to respond. And if you don’t respond enough or at all it will apply the brakes. IMG_1564.JPG

I just got an 18 prerunner and t has all of this stuff on it. It all can be turned off, but I don't know if it defaults to on at each startup. The radar cruise control is the biggest bunch of crap I can think of. I'm going 70 and it will slow me down to the 55mph mouth breather I front of me? No thanks, easy to over-ride, just hold the on switch for 2 seconds when turning the cc on.

The other stuff can be turned off in the settings on the center display, but I haven't had time to play around with it yet as I only have 20 miles on it.

I just got an 18 prerunner and t has all of this stuff on it. It all can be turned off, but I don't know if it defaults to on at each startup. The radar cruise control is the biggest bunch of crap I can think of. I'm going 70 and it will slow me down to the 55mph mouth breather I front of me? No thanks, easy to over-ride, just hold the on switch for 2 seconds when turning the cc on.

The other stuff can be turned off in the settings on the center display, but I haven't had time to play around with it yet as I only have 20 miles on it.

Im sure toyota attorneys have spoken to the company and made them aware the trac/vcs/abs nannies should all default to "on" at each startup.

Good to know. Congrats on the new prerunner. Post some pictures.

Im sure toyota attorneys have spoken to the company and made them aware the trac/vcs/abs nannies should all default to "on" at each startup.

On the Freightliner I drive at work, you have to turn the traction control "off" or you wil get stuck in the sand every time you go in the pit. Even when it is "off", it isn't really off, it is more like "on less" as it will cut power when it detects wheel spin which just screws you so bad you want to shoot the damn thing. I get stuck in places everybody just drives through and I've been doing this for over 30 years and I look like a JB Hunt.

Back