Quick general concensus on 2.7L motor

AbsurdBuffalo

Hey, my brother is transitioning into a new local truck driving job from being a long haul driver. As such, he is needing to pick up a vehicle now that he'll actually need one.

Scouring Craigslist, we came across a 98 Tacoma 4x4 extended cab (and at least a 6 foot bed it looks like). Manual transmission, 170k miles, asking $5500 OBO.

Truck looks like it's in decent shape. Seller mentioned he had rear ended someone in it at one point, and many of the front body panels were replaced. Claims no engine/frame damage (will have to inspect for that). Also need to see if the frame recall has been completed.

My question. I don't know anything about the 2.7L engines. Are they good? Bad? Meh? Look for a V6?

The 2.7L engine is a great low maintenance engine. It’s not going to win any races but it gets a few mpg more than the 3.4L. Either one is going to last 200-300k miles if taken care of. If he wants more power get the 3.4 he won’t be happy with the power of the 2.7.

The 2.7L engine is a great low maintenance engine. It’s not going to win any races but it gets a few mpg more than the 3.4L. Either one is going to last 200-300k miles if taken care of. If he wants more power get the 3.4 he won’t be happy with the power of the 2.7.
Yeah, he said if it can haul itself plus maybe some furniture in the back from time to time, it'd be fine. He'll be living in a fairly small town (Rock Springs, WY), so he probably won't put a ton of miles on it anyways. Besides, his plan is to get a 'fun' car in the next year or two.

Like @OR17TRD said, they’re great little motors. And they’ve more than proven theirselves over the years. I’ve had 4 myself. They aren’t power houses by any means but they do well enough and last forever.
Toyota still uses them if that tells you anything.

Back