Radar Sensor Errors with TRD Pro Grill Install

Tbone

Last year I installed a TRD Pro aftermarket grill on my 2018 Tacoma Off Road. The PCS light now comes on my instrument panel intermittently and I lose safety features such as adaptive cruise control and pedestrian avoidance. Recently my Taco was recalled for a faulty radar sensor but the dealer informed me that because the grill was changed out that they could only turn off "safety sense" unless I re-installed the original honey comb grill. I was told even if it was an OEM part (it isn't) because it doesn't have a matching VIN number. In other words it comes up as a TRD Pro Grill on a TRD Off Road vehicle. I would not let them turn off my intermittent safety sense option because as I said it works half of the time. When I explained that it would use the same calibration as a TRD Pro because the grill and sensor height are the same the Toyota service rep said they can't calibrate it because it doesn't have the same software as a TRD Pro. The work wasn't performed by the dealer, I left frustrated. I don't believe this story....
Can anyone offer suggestions who have some experience with this?
-Tbone

If possible take it to another Toyota dealer. Service Writers can come up with some of the craziest crap sometimes.

I'm asking this because I don't know, are the sensors located in the same position on all models? My 19 sr5 was recalled for the sensor, my neighbors 19 trd wasn't. I don't know what model trd he has as ive never went over and looked at it, I just know its one sharp assed truck, admire it from afar, and keep my sr5 which serves me well.

Back