Rebuilding a 4.56

Justing1234

Hey guys, i’m A Jeep owner and diesel mechanic who just bought himself a 2001 Tacoma for $800. It’s had the frame recall done And it’s actually in really decent shape. 103k miles. I bought it from a customer because it needed brakes, a steering rack, an exhaust and a couple odds and ends she wasn’t interested in doing. So anyways I have about $800 in parts invested in the truck. After I do everything I take it on the test drive, and Out of nowhere the rear differential starts making noise. turns out I poked a hole in the rusty diff cover and it leaked the fluid out. I think the gears are ok but the pinion bearing is definitely trashed.

Okay, so this truck has the bo4a code differentials which decodes to 8” ring gear 4.56 ratio 2 pinion open diff. (None of the axles I talk about here have lockers)

I’m searching for a rebuild kit for that differential. However, every kit I find comes up as “ this fits 2001 Toyolet Tacoma 2.7l”
But has no specifics to the rear end listed anywhere. Being aware these trucks came with multiple different options, I’m weary on buying any random bearing kit the website says will fit.
Does anyone
a) know if the bearings in the different diffs were all the same and I can just use any bearing kit for that truck
Or
B)know where I CAN find the correct bearing kit if they do differ from diff to diff

Before anyone says anything I am fully aware I can just take all the bearings out and go match them up at eastern bearing in providence and be all set, but last time I rebuilt a Detroit rear end for a freightliner I ran into this same problem and finding the correct bearings turned into a **** show and the truck was in my work bay for over a month so I’m trying to avoid that if I can

Now here’s plan b
I found a set of bo3a code diffs from a 100% identical truck except obviously the gear ratio is 4.10 not 4.56. These diffs will run me about $400. From what I understand I can just throw the diffs in and go with no fitment issues (please let me know if I am wrong)
However from what I’ve been reading the 4.10 is kind of a downgrade from 4.56 especially if you plan to put bigger tires on later on.
If anyone has an opinion on this route rather than the rebuild I would appreciate the insight.

Hey guys, i’m A Jeep owner and diesel mechanic who just bought himself a 2001 Tacoma for $800. It’s had the frame recall done And it’s actually in really decent shape. 103k miles. I bought it from a customer because it needed brakes, a steering rack, an exhaust and a couple odds and ends she wasn’t interested in doing. So anyways I have about $800 in parts invested in the truck. After I do everything I take it on the test drive, and Out of nowhere the rear differential starts making noise. turns out I poked a hole in the rusty diff cover and it leaked the fluid out. I think the gears are ok but the pinion bearing is definitely trashed.

Okay, so this truck has the bo4a code differentials which decodes to 8” ring gear 4.56 ratio 2 pinion open diff. (None of the axles I talk about here have lockers)

I’m searching for a rebuild kit for that differential. However, every kit I find comes up as “ this fits 2001 Toyolet Tacoma 2.7l”
But has no specifics to the rear end listed anywhere. Being aware these trucks came with multiple different options, I’m weary on buying any random bearing kit the website says will fit.
Does anyone
a) know if the bearings in the different diffs were all the same and I can just use any bearing kit for that truck
Or
B)know where I CAN find the correct bearing kit if they do differ from diff to diff

Before anyone says anything I am fully aware I can just take all the bearings out and go match them up at eastern bearing in providence and be all set, but last time I rebuilt a Detroit rear end for a freightliner I ran into this same problem and finding the correct bearings turned into a **** show and the truck was in my work bay for over a month so I’m trying to avoid that if I can

Now here’s plan b
I found a set of bo3a code diffs from a 100% identical truck except obviously the gear ratio is 4.10 not 4.56. These diffs will run me about $400. From what I understand I can just throw the diffs in and go with no fitment issues (please let me know if I am wrong)
However from what I’ve been reading the 4.10 is kind of a downgrade from 4.56 especially if you plan to put bigger tires on later on.
If anyone has an opinion on this route rather than the rebuild I would appreciate the insight.

I'm not sure if toyota offered a 4.56 option for the rear but I do know that they had an 8" & 8.5" (elocker IIRC)

I just pulled the 3rd out of my 04' about an hour ago, mines a TRD DC 4x w/elocker & it's 4.11

Finding a bearing kit shouldn't be that hard, one sure way to determine what you need is....start counting teeth I guess haha that's all I got for ya dude... GL with search...

Back