Removing front mud flaps

Jack Straw

So a couple of months ago I went from to 265/65/17 to 265/70/17 tires with a 2” spacer up front and now my tires rub. It looks like they’re just rubbing on the mud flaps and not hurting anything but it’s annoying. To remove the front mud flaps it looks like there’s 3 bolts going across the flap and also 3 plastic, round caps going up and down on the outside of the wheel well.
Getting the 3 bolts off was easy enough but when I attempted to remove the top round cap it broke...naturally. Now keep in mind I’m about as mechanically handy as a legless lizard. Also, it takes nothing to frustrate my plans. So as I stand there and look I realize that even if I remove the flaps there’s going to be the 3 holes from the caps and the wheel wells are going to look unfinished.
Now, my questions are these:
Is there a trick to removing the caps without snapping them?
Can I just use the bolts to fill the holes left by the snapped off caps?
Is there something to install to provide a more finished look?
FWIW, the truck is a 2015.

Attachments

• 41DA848E-2A41-40FA-8B1E-942DF7E1D01D.jpeg
    41DA848E-2A41-40FA-8B1E-942DF7E1D01D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
Those look like the same fasteners that hold the grill in on my '17. Take a small screwdriver and pull up on the center piece.....then, the fastener will pull out. Once the mudflap is off you can reinstall the keeper in the hole and push that center-piece in to lock it in. If you ruin one you can get replacements at local parts store.

Those look like the same fasteners that hold the grill in on my '17. Take a small screwdriver and pull up on the center piece.....then, the fastener will pull out. Once the mudflap is off you can reinstall the keeper in the hole. If you ruin one you can get replacements at local parts store.
Thanks B, I’ll try that

Back