Replacement axle gears

Discussion in '2016 + Toyota Tacoma' started by Joisey, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Joisey

Joisey Member

Are there any companies that make gears for the 2018 TRD off road Tacoma in other than stock ratios? I'm looking for something in the 4.30 to 4.88 range.

I used the search feature and could find no postings. If I missed something that was posted, please supply a link.

Thank you.

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

These guys will set you up with whatever you need: https://eastcoastgearsupply.com/

OR17TRD likes this.
  4. geekyadam

geekyadam Well-Known Member

I think Nitro does third gen gears. That's where Maxx Powell got his done

5. OP
    Joisey

Joisey Member

Thank you gentlemen. I dealt with East Coast Gear years back when I did an F-250 and a power wagon.

whippersnapper02 likes this.
  6. Crawdad

Crawdad Well-Known Member

OR17TRD likes this.
  7. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

8. OR17TRD

Welcome to the forum. Post some pictures of your OR.

9. Crawdad

Not till I have the gears and lockers installed. Lol

OR17TRD likes this.
  10. OP
    Joisey

Joisey Member

I will, as soon as it stops raining.

Seems I was a bit off in my calculations. 4.88 gears would put me more where the engine should be at 60 and 70 mph.

OR17TRD likes this.
  11. OR17TRD

4:88’s are good for the taco with 2-3” lift and 33’s you could even go to 35’s with those.
    4:56’s can do 32-33” easy if you know you’re not going to want to go bigger.

12. OP
    Joisey

Joisey Member

I want to stay with stock height (30.61 to 31) and 4.56 will give me 1742 rpm, 4.88 will give me 1864 rpm. Compared to my current 3.91 ratio, which gives me 1494 rpm, way out of the torque curve, even if I run 70 mph the slightest hill makes the trans downshift at least one gear, sometimes two.

Crawdad likes this.
  13. Crawdad

There's such little difference between 4.56 and 4.88, you might as well just go 4.88. A 265/75- 16 is a nice size for stock height. I'm at high elevation and feel your pain... gears are on my list too, I never use 5th or 6th until I'm going downhill and over 60. Haha