Replacement Headlight Bulbs

Bodacious

Did a search but found nothing????
Also went to several online stores and I keep getting a "no products found" when entering 2014 Tacoma.

Anyway I want to replace my headlight bulbs on my 2014 Tacoma TRD with a brighter non-tinted bulb. 60/55w is what I think is stock. At TW, Philips Extreme Power were getting good reviews but I don't know what style type I need. I have not pulled my OEM's out to look at them yet....lazy I guess!
Thanks for any and all recommendations!

Don't want to go HID!

Last edited:
all tacoma headlights are H4s

keep in mind that any light that's "brighter" and pulls more wattage will not last as long as shorter "long-life" bulbs. Can't get something from nothing- more power running through the filament will shorten it's life.

I ran PIAA xtreme whites before my retro, they were great

Thanks H4 9003 dual filament (hi/low in one bulb) correct?

The light output of this Tacoma seems less than half of what my 2008 Silverado had with OEM bulbs.

Also noticed that the housing must reflect the beam with a straight line across the top of the projection (kind of a circle with the top cut off if that makes any sense? Not sure if I like that, but that's the way it's designed I guess.

Thanks H4 9003 dual filament (hi/low in one bulb) correct?

The light output of this Tacoma seems less than half of what my 2008 Silverado had with OEM bulbs.

Also noticed that the housing must reflect the beam with a straight line across the top of the projection (kind of a circle with the top cut off if that makes any sense? Not sure if I like that, but that's the way it's designed I guess.

cutoffs come from projector housings rather than reflectors

yep. taco headlights are just 1 bulb

I had gone with brighter bulbs but ended up going back to stander-ed bulbs as the brighter bulbs burn hotter and burn out in under a year.

I have never had issues seeing at night with the stock headlights. I would like something whiter though. No ricer HIDs for me.

Last edited:
retro's are the way to go

537533_10200363718643343_230305019_n-1_zpsa4e54694.jpg

liveqw02Js.jpg

Sylvania ZXE I got,they are great 12,13,14 are all the same get at autozone or advance auto parts!! had for a year,put on 1 week later last oct 2012 for my 2013,have had and no problems!!!Super Bright!!stay away from HID,You need to replace complete housing and bulbs with ballast too!!Fact OEM lamp housing will get ruined if you just convert!!Not worth it, Sylvania ZXE are worth it about $ 50.00 on sale! or at Car ID abnd Real Truck!

Anybody try the Philips Extreme Power 60/55's. If so are they a brighter OEM type light (meaning not the blue tint...ie: fake HID look) ?

Does the Sylvania ZXE have the blue tint? (not looking for a tint )

Anybody try the Philips Extreme Power 60/55's. If so are they a brighter OEM type light (meaning not the blue tint...ie: fake HID look) ?

Does the Sylvania ZXE have the blue tint? (not looking for a tint )

I think I read on Sylvania's site the zxe is their whitest white.

Sylvania ZXE I got,they are great 12,13,14 are all the same get at autozone or advance auto parts!! had for a year,put on 1 week later last oct 2012 for my 2013,have had and no problems!!!Super Bright!!stay away from HID,You need to replace complete housing and bulbs with ballast too!!Fact OEM lamp housing will get ruined if you just convert!!Not worth it, Sylvania ZXE are worth it about $ 50.00 on sale! or at Car ID abnd Real Truck!

not a fact at all
proper HID's in projectors are brighter and will last longer than halogen bulbs- any brighter bulb will have a shorter life. They even take less energy to run

even HID's in reflector housings are fine, unless you do something weird with a 55w one; but even then, housing damage is rare

I use Sylvania ZXE!!! Have had over a year,put in 2 weeks after I took home in mid October 2012,and,still bright as hell!!!I have used since they first come out on all my cars and trucks!!!BEST!!I have a 2013 Tacoma Pre Runner SR5 DCLB ,same bulbs!!!Try it You woill love it,get prices on amazon .com and go to advance auto parts or autozone and have them price match!!I did and saved big!!!

even HID's in reflector housings are fine, unless you do something weird with a 55w one; but even then, housing damage is rare

I can't believe that in this day in age, people are still putting HID lighting capsules into halogen lamp units.

THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR THOSE UNITS!

Halogen lights and HID capsules give off different patterns of light, and therefore require different kinds of housings. While you may think you're doing yourself a world of good buy upgrading the light output of your OEM housings, what you're also doing is dazzling other drivers.

Don't be "that guy" that drives around blinding other drivers. It's a dick thing to do. Stick with halogen bulbs (as the OP asked about) and call it a day (night?)

IF the OEM projector unit is tough enough to handle the heat of a higher-wattage H4, then the consideration becomes: re-do the wiring or not? Almost all OEM wiring is 14ga or smaller, and not really up to the task of 2 high-wattage bulbs. Specially if you're driving around with the mains on all the time. Generally, re-doing the wiring in any automotive application is pretty easy, but it takes time, some knowledge, and equipment. Fatter wire, relays, the appropriate wire ends, and of course: the bulbs.

Not upgrading the wiring, or trying to put a hotter halogen bulb into a housing not designed for it can and may lead to a car-b-que. Bad juju.

Sylvania ZXE is awesome,had them since they first came out years ago!!!Last a long time,never burnt out or went dull,stay away from HID unless you replace the whole headlamp assembly,this is a must do ,or problems will arise!Plus ZXE is only about $40-$50 a pair,I even replace my fog lamps with these,$80-$90 for all four lamps at autozone,advance auto parts,or ebay,amazon???Well worthit and a lot cheaper!! Rambo

I'll 2nd the sylvania zxe bought a set after reading about them on here. They are great, will be going back for 2 more to replace the fogs now.

Back