? Serp belt on gen2 4 cylinder...

the squeal seems worse this past week as temps keep struggling to get to the freezing point
hopefully its nothing more than the belt and that idler pulley making this noisy squeal

If the belt has never been changed, your truck is telling you it's time. I wouldn't ignore noises like that.....toyota didn't send trucks out that way.

gla.., there is the knute

1706789731988.png

Nov 29, 2020

All.....you really don't need a tool (gage) to see if the belt is worn.

Look at the pulleys. If the crest (point) of the grooves is shiny, then the belt is worn. This comes from the belt sitting deeper in the grooves with the pulley crests being driven by the valley of the belt.

The belt is designed to drive on the sides of the V.

Other clues to belt replacement are shiny (glazing) belt (drive side or back side), cracks (anywhere) and slipping (of course). Generally, these indicators are evident before slipping begins.

One more tip. While the belt is off, take a couple minutes to inspect and clean the pulley grooves.

Last edited:
so i took another gander at this pending task when i had the hood open peeking over the shroud to see where that one idler pulley is at
ummmm,,, my funked neck started paralizing just looking over the shrould so i am not sure which part(s) i will need to remove and replace to have adequate access to the belt AND to replace the idler pulley that may or may not be squeaking.

the tensioner pulley is accessed from underneath with the undercover removed.

how does the fan shroud get removed out of the way... what about the grille? that could be hindrance in the way for proper reach as well IDK!
does the engine fan need to come out also with the shroud???
help!!?

28-Dec-2o23

bot a better quality 1/2" breaker bar (18") for this task that hopefully is much more precise in its swing swing
whenever that pulley shows up that i orderd over a month ago on the BFCM 48 off sale
also need much warmer than freezing temps to get 'er knocked down if able

as far as the tensioner goes is that thing easy to break? its very costly part to replace if broke it

pulley STILL has not been delivered... but it is close! there is some delay at the post office i must now look into why it just stopped in one location for 5 days

update...
idler pulley finally has arrived after 9+ weeks of waitin' onit

... peeking around behind the HUGE fan shroud i spot Another Pulley, the AC idler pulley buried down on the driver side
do these pulley things develop the squeaky at 13yrs and 85k miles?

1707139814079.png

MSRP is 75$ on that pulley

this is for the v6
seems that stuffs are removed to access this easily?

Yes, on the Gem2 V-6 (4.0L) to remove/replace the tensioner, the AC needs to be unbolted at least. Its a difficult task. Access is limited and the bolts are very tight.

I tried to replace the tensioner on my truck. I was not successful removing the AC bolts. So, I do a regular inspection at each oil change. Basically, I untension the belt and rotate the tension pulley by hand noting any grinding or unusual movement.

Back