Serpentine Belts

Simple question... I’m at 81k and my mechanics recommend replacing the serpentine belt. I’ve researched and like the Gates Micro V. Do I need the whole kit or just the belt? Is there a good reason to do the kit? Difference in price is substantial.

Going into this kinda blind cause I dont know what engine you have. Id say youre talking about 2 different belts. The serpentine belt the only other thing to change would be an idler pulley or tensioner/ tensioner pulley which would add some expense but not that much. I'm thinking hes talking about the timing belt, if you have one. Now that one is considerably more expensive and if you get the kit which includes new water pump and usually tensioner plus maybe a few other odds and ends thats where all the money comes in. JMO but if youre doing the timing belt do the job right, get the kit, do it once and be done for another 80 thousand miles. Chances are if you don't you'll be going back later for a water pump and have to pay the labor all I over again.

Get the OEM serpentine belt and done

If u have the 4cyl, u have a timing belt... That kit may be due. If a v6 4.0 2005-20015 u have a timing chain, leave that alone.

Get the OEM serpentine belt and done

If u have the 4cyl, u have a timing belt... That kit may be due. If a v6 4.0 2005-20015 u have a timing chain, leave that alone.

It’s the 4.0. Just doing serpentine. Gates sells a kit with tensioners and pullies. If I just get the belt it’s about $30. The kit is $200. Significantly more expensive. I trust my guys and if they say the serpentine is due, I’d rather do it and have peace of mind.

It’s the 4.0. Just doing serpentine. Gates sells a kit with tensioners and pullies. If I just get the belt it’s about $30. The kit is $200. Significantly more expensive. I trust my guys and if they say the serpentine is due, I’d rather do it and have peace of mind.

Peace of mind is big.
I replaced my serp at 80K miles.... Just in case even tho it looked fine. As I was doing a death valley run anyhow.

Back