Shock replacement interval or failure?

Discussion in 'Maintenance' started by Taco Slinger 4000, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Taco Slinger 4000

Taco Slinger 4000 Well-Known Member

are shocks the type of part that need to be replaced regularly at a specific mileage interval? Or only when they fail? I want to maintain my truck with stock suspension but cost is also an issue. Thanks

2. Avatar

Tacoma Forum Sign Up!

Join TacomaForum.com Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you a Toyota truck fan? If so we invite you to join TacomaForum.com. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Toyota Tacoma Fans to meet online.
    Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your truck, and have a great time with other Toyota Tacoma fans. Whether your an old timer or just bought your Tacoma you'll find that TacomaForum.com is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally free!

Join TacomaForum.com Today! JOIN FOR FREE

3. whippersnapper02

whippersnapper02 Negative Nancy

Only when they fail and there's no knowing when since roads are different everywhere and also depends on your use.

4. OR17TRD

OR17TRD Well-Known Member

+1
    Give it the bounce test. Push on each corner and make it bounce. Good shocks should settle at ride height in a bounce or two. If its bouncing like a ho on coke it’s no good.

5. OP
    Taco Slinger 4000

Thank you. I will call my local Toyota dealership to schedule a bouncing like a ho on coke test and possibly a quote for a set of shocks.

kp.taco, B-Man, OR17TRD and 1 other person like this.
  6. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Haha. “Ho on coke” test. Is that the official name?

B-Man likes this.
  7. OP
    Taco Slinger 4000

No. I just spoke with a service advisor apparently it’s just called a “bounce test”. To save anyone the hassle of asking for the wrong test when you call the Toyota service center.

B-Man, OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  8. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Lol. Good to know. Thanks for clarifying. It may be a little awkward when you call the service department and ask for a bouncing coke ho.

9. OR17TRD

You might be suprised... when you ask.

Bogunn likes this.
  10. OR17TRD

Yes.

vwgtiturbo and Bogunn like this.
  11. vwgtiturbo

vwgtiturbo Well-Known Member

"Ho on coke"... I really need to work that into my conversation today.

OR17TRD and Bogunn like this.
  12. OR17TRD

What did they say?

13. OP
    Taco Slinger 4000

About the “ho on coke test”? They said they didn’t have the proper equipment to perform the test. Nor would they take my word and cited that it would be an issue that the technician would have to replicate in person with the proper equipment.

Bojangles, Bogunn and OR17TRD like this.
  14. OR17TRD

ROFL. Nice.

15. OR17TRD

Not really. I was however wondering if you actually took it to see if you needed new shocks or not.

16. Bogunn

Bogunn Well-Known Member

Hahahaha

17. OP
    Taco Slinger 4000

Not yet, I’ll check it myself or per their recommendation. I should be ok for a while bc the most non pavement driving I do at this point is a 1.5 mile unpaved road to and from work

OR17TRD likes this.