Standard trucks!

Who drives these beauties with standard transmission? Tell us what you think!

I have a 6 speed manual and lovin it, been about 20 years since I drove a stick and it feels good to be shifting again. Automatics are ok, but a manual gives you more control over the vehicle and you use the brake less so brake jobs are less frequent. Took a little time to get use to the 2 extra gears since I'm use to driving a 4 speed Chevelle.

The only thing I have mixed feelings on is 1st gear being granny gear. At times it's great other times not so. But wouldn't have it any other way.

One thing about my truck I was glad to see was this prior to me buying it in Jan 2013 at 46,000:

05/09/2012 Mileage 44,420
CUSTOMER STATES TOW IN CHECK CLUTCH AND SHIFTING ISSUE ~|~ ~|~REPLACED CLUTCH AND RESURFACED FLYWHEEL Parts
Name Part # QTY
DISC ASSY, CLUTCH 3125035451 1
BEARING ASSY, CLUTCH 3123060241 1
COVER ASSY, CLUTCH 3121060280 1

So I have a new clutch and it is smooth, don't know why there was an issue with the clutch after 6 yrs but glad its been resolved :thumbsup: I guess if I wanted to I could call the dealer it was done at but have no reason to.

Definitely more control of the vehicle and the usage of breaks but I I have to say its simply funner to drive. I think like every car u have to get used to it and learn how to handle the gears because every car is different. But I just drove and i think it was The smoothest ride I've had to date which makes me wonder how defined is the effect of weather on it

I love manuals but not in trucks. I still considered the 6 speed but I didn't like all the problems people were having. The auto does an awesome job of choosing the gear I need when I need it. Downshifting isn't a problem either so I rate gear control for the auto almost as good as a manual. Sometimes I wish I could accelerate without the trans downshifting.

Give me a manual in a sports car all day unless it's a drag car.

Last edited:
I had the 6 speed in my old truck. :yes:

Attachments

• X-Runner 008.jpg
    X-Runner 008.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 13
Sports cars are definitely a good standard experience lol. I actually learned in my truck so it's something I became very comfortable with and it's actually the first car I drove with a liscense. The day of getting it I just took it and learned. In my opinions it's just a better more interactive driving experience. You handle more

Manuals are the bomb, so much fun to drive. My 1st was a '69 International P/U, 3 on the tree which was changed to 4 on the floor. Then a '73 bug 4 speed, a '69 Ford Econoline Van 3 on the tree, to my '70 Chevelle SS 4 speed and now my '06 Tacoma 6 speed. I've driven my share of automatics but just enjoy the manual so much more. It just seems like you have so much more control over the vehicle with a manual.

I flew from S. Florida to Mobile, Alabama to pick up my 6 speed 4x4. Seems that they hate to sell Tacoma 4x4s with the six speed down here.

I have a 5spd 2.7l 4x4, keeps ppl from asking to borrow it since no one can drive stick these days

Touche' - It does bite me in the tail though as I am the only one that can handle the boat with the truck. I have been teaching people but they tend to smoke the tires trying to the pull the boat out. :thumbdown:

Feather that bad boy.

I prefer the manuals and have driven them for 45+ years but because of a bothersome knee just moved into an automatic. Gotta say, these Tacoma auto's give a nice dexterity to the old auto' I've driven in the past. I might just get to like them.

I love standards I have had times that I would have like to have a auto. Some boat ramps it would be helpful. 6 out of 7 of my vehicles have been standard. All of my trucks have been. I have only had one car. It was my first. 1986 z 28. Loved that car. It should have been a standard.

Back