Surprised dealer recommends non-synthetic oil

TacoKen

Took my 2015 Tacoma 4X4 V6 in for it's 15K service and I was kind of surprised they use NON-SYNTHETIC oil. Since this was my last free service I will be doing my own oil changes and in all my other vehicles I use nothing but synthetic oil. I find it hard to believe any NEW cars/trucks in this day and age use regular oil. Opinions?

An engine needs lucubration. It doesn't care about the brand or kind. Synthetic has better properties to make it last longer and not break down under extreme situations such as heat but it's really just a feel good mod. Dino oil works just fine for 95% of vehicle owners.

Your oil brand recommendations on certain vehicle brands (Mobil 1 for BMW) comes from a nice fat check.

I agree with whippersnapper. If you change your oil every 3000-5000 miles Dino oil is fine. If you are going 5000-10000 miles between intervals synthetic is going to give your engine the lubrication it needs to last. Dino oil breaks down faster and will become thicker on cold start and thinner after temp not protecting and lubricating the engine as well during that last 2000-7000 miles. Synthetic will protect the engine for 5000-10000 miles much better. It's science. Haha. Personally I don't like changing my oil. I have always done it myself and on my older trucks before synthetics I would do it every 2500-3000 miles. Now I always use synthetic and do it between 5000-10000 miles depending on how I'm driving. Mobil 1 makes an extended synthetic and a filter that is rated for 15000 miles. I used this for my tundra and liked not having to change my oil but once a year.

Last edited:
That's my point exactly it's not the 60's so why use conventional "Dino" oil. Do you use synthetic oil in your engines?

I do because I'm hard on my vehicles and I have a supercharger on my Tacoma. Used dino before and changed at 5K without issues.

Like I said in the original post, Surprised a dealer who sells new Tacoma's would use conventional oil for new service or even use it from the factory.
Guess trying to pinch pennies for more profit.

Back