Suspension Re-torque

Kenny670

Just had 4WP install a full king2.5 lift with icon aal. They say to bring it back for a 1000 mile retorque but I kinda don’t want to considering it’s 2 hours away just for retorque. Is retorque necessary if all torque marks seem to still be aligned and has not moved? If so are there torque specs for UCAs, coil overs top and bottom bolts, rear shocks top and bottom bolts, leaf spring? Thanks in advance.

You can retorque the stuff yourself if you get the diffent specs from them. Or if a little experienced pulling wrenches yourself, just look at the size of the bolt, and then tighten to what you think is good.
Its not like the exact value is all that critical on a suspension part, your not doing the heads that are more critical.

Not sure re-torquing is necessary. How many new cars require you to come in for service so they can re-torque your nuts and bolts?

Some places put it in the contract, to reduce liability if something falls apart in the future. Since most people probably don't do it, they have no legal leg to stand on if they have a part fall off, because they didn't get it retorqued. The same goes for tire shops that ask you to come back and get thenlug nuts retorqued. If you the owner don't, and a week later a wheel falls off, you are now to blame for not going back. In this day of people who like to sue, its all about covering their own ass.

Some places put it in the contract, to reduce liability if something falls apart in the future. Since most people probably don't do it, they have no legal leg to stand on if they have a part fall off, because they didn't get it retorqued. The same goes for tire shops that ask you to come back and get thenlug nuts retorqued. If you the owner don't, and a week later a wheel falls off, you are now to blame for not going back. In this day of people who like to sue, its all about covering their own ass.

never seen anything regarding service from any new car dealer stating a service is required to re-torque bolts. And most warranties are way past the 1,000 miles to re-torque. The only people who use torque wrenches are hobbyists and tire/wheel people. Never seen any shop using a torque wrench,just pneumatic wrenches. I personally have 3 different size torque wrenches.

never seen anything regarding service from any new car dealer stating a service is required to re-torque bolts. And most warranties are way past the 1,000 miles to re-torque. The only people who use torque wrenches are hobbyists and tire/wheel people. Never seen any shop using a torque wrench,just pneumatic wrenches. I personally have 3 different size torque wrenches.

I'm a torque wrench junkie, but in the maintenance of aircraft, it is law.

True, nowadays it’s all about liability

You mean cotter pin and castellated nut? I’m an aircraft mechanic by trade for about 7 years now and I totally agree!!!!

Yes cotter pin, my bad calling it a key.
I was just repairing a neighbor's lawnmower, and had key stuck in my brain.
They sheared the timing key off in their mowers motor.
I have always just called them a crown nut though, they even look like a crown sort of.
Castellated is the correct term though, if not a Canadian redneck.
Been an AME, the term we use in Canada, it's different than the USA. AME is Aircraft Maintenance Engineer, and I am certified to work on seven types of helicopters.

Back