Taking care of my 2015

lohan808

Hi tacomaniacs,
Let me start by saying I really like my truck.
2015 dcsb 4x4 base. Very minor surface rust frame wise and I am working on a plan for that. Just turning 98500 today and I have had regular oil service at 5k since I bought it at 72044miles. It has no badges on the tailgate, which I like. The truck has a few items that make me wonder about it. Not that I mind but it does have trd seats. What are some other things trd related I should look for on my ride, because after a vin search it has things it should not have.
So I really want to keep this one, as it does everything I need and I am not interested in the new ones. Would you guys help me out with what maintenance and upkeep items I need to be aware of? I am a wrench turner and an electrician in the power utility so no stranger to hard work.
I would love any feedback so the floor is yours.

Welcome aboard, Glad you're enjoying the truck. That said, if you have the owners manual, and can read, it's all there. It helps to have a decent obdII scanner when you run into the harder stuff.

Considering your mileage......it may be prudent to change ALL the fluids.

Front & Rear Diffs
Transfer case
Transmission
Brake
Coolant
Power steering
Engine oil

These are "life" fluids for the vehicle. Yes, they do get old losing performance and protection.

Change the plugs, air filter (cabin filter too) and PCV
Clean MAF, throttle body
Check the Serp belt and pulley (idlers and tensioner)
Check the U-joints and Carrier Bearing

None of this is difficult or expensive. Although, these simple things can do wonders. Plus you will get a good feel for the overall condition of the truck.

You could also go to the local dealer to have them run the VIN to see the maintenance and service records. Have them print a copy for you. This will give you an idea of any recall, TSB or service work performed by the dealer network.

Done the diffs and a full tranny with transfer change at 75000. Oil+ filter every 5k. Air filters every 2 oil jobs. Going to watch some vids on the drivetrain. Would it be good to go to the sleeve carrier instead of the needles?

Stocker all the way. So I rolled under the Taco and went over the driveshaft and frame. The carrier bearing was new recently installed no rust. DUDE! I got so lucky! Praise for the prior owner, I only found one spot at a crossmember with any real rust. I think a POR-15 treatment and sealing will do it. There is some rust on fittings and hangers, and the bolts.

Problem I found was the U joints dont have zerks front or rear all the way through the drivetrain? Am I missing something here? I rotated the axles and circlips on the caps all the way around... WTF?!

Someone must of replaced all the u-joints with the latest toyota ones that no longer have them. Even my 2020 tacoma doesn't have any zerks.

They're sealed u-joints....you'll never need to lube them, till they fail. :(
I've never had these type of u-joints in my vehicles either, I've always greased mine every 10k miles. Be interesting how they hold up.

You'll know when the u-joint develops excessive play, seizes up, or are noisy. Some claim these sealed u-joints hold up better than the ones with zerks.

Back