Third generation BRAKE warning

Joisey

I tried searching, but can't find the post on the BRAKE warning coming on for no apparent reason. It just happened on my vehicle twice yesterday. Time to go see the dealer.

I had a letter from Toyota for a service campaign for that issue, water get in between the sensor causing these reading, free fix at the dealer

What a joke. Total waste of two hours. Arrive a few minutes early for my appointment. Speak to the same guy that I made the appointment with on the phone. Explain to him how the brake warning word and buzzer come on for no reason, but the brakes are not applied. Explain three times, as he tells me it's IMPOSSIBLE for this to happen. Well, welcome to the impossible.

OK, he says, we'll call you when your truck is done. I tell him that I'll be in the waiting area. Then he tells me that this should be a drop off because it has to be diagnosed. I tell him that my appointment says customer will wait, but I will leave the truck if they give me a loaner. No loaner available. So I wait.

One hour, nothing is done. Twenty minutes later my truck disappears in the shop for 15 minutes. The service advisor informs me that parts have to be ordered and the new sensor reprogrammed. Will call when parts come in.

Wasted visit. He didn't even know there was a recall, I had to tell him.

Pre collision system???

That's the radar thing behind the Toyota emblem on the grill...right?

Only time mine gave me any trouble was once when driving on I-4 thru a torrential rain storm. The light came on a couple times for a few seconds, but the brake never applied.

That's the radar thing behind the Toyota emblem on the grill...right?

Only time mine gave me any trouble was once when driving on I-4 thru a torrential rain storm. The light came on a couple times for a few seconds, but the brake never applied.

That's the one. Dealer said it's impossible to get the warning beep and light without braking. Someone should tell my truck.

That's the one. Dealer said it's impossible to get the warning beep and light without braking. Someone should tell my truck.

Same thing happened to my mom’s Nissan. It happened a few times and nothing was ever done, but they finally came out with a recall not too long ago. Keep pushing the issue. Good luck!

I'm not too popular with the service writer at that dealer. After we got my problem documented, he informed me that my truck was seriously overdue for it's free 5000 service. The truck currently has 5900+ miles on the clock.

I told him that I did the service myself in January at 4959 miles and documented the service in my book, and went as far as to clear doing my own service by calling Toyota directly.

So he gives me the song on how advanced these newfangled vehicles are, and now it takes a highly trained mechanic to service or do repair work on them (I'm 63, the service writer is about 42).

So I ask him if the mechanic that does the pre-delivery check is one of these highly trained techs, which he confirms. I then go down the laundry list of shortcomings, extremely overinflated tires, back rear 20 ounces low, front rear 4 ounces low, transfer case 2 ounces low, power steering...well, let's just say that the engine oil and transmission fluid was where it belonged.

By now, things have gotten loud and there are 3 other people watching and listening to the exchange between me and the service writer. The service writer looks at his computer screen and says "well, we can rotate your tires, it's due for that". I told him that this dealership will only see my vehicle for warranty work and recalls.

I go to the waiting lounge to wait for my truck to be serviced. Strike up a conversation with a nice black woman there. Her service writer comes in with an air filter and cabin air filter supposedly for her 2017 V6 Tacoma, telling her that they are dirty and should be changed at her next service call. BUT IF SHE HAS THEM CHANGE IT NOW, SHE CAN SAVE $20 ON THE LABOR COST BECAUSE THE OLD UNITS ARE ALREADY REMOVED FOR INSPECTION. Cost??? $210 including labor WITH the discount. My cost is about $60 for the two filters from the dealer, 15 minutes labor. HOW DOES THIS EQUAL BETTER THAN $200?

She tells him that she will have them done at the next service. Goldmine, no??

I'm with ya on the dealer service stuff. The only time they will see mine is warranty work or recalls. Ive changed my own oil for 50+ years so no need in changing now. Air and cabin air filter replacement is a 5 min job for the two. I change mine once a year wether they need it or not.

Speaking of recalls, does toyota notify you if youre particular vehicle is affected by a recall or just assume you keep up with it on the toyota owners site? On my owners site it says mine has an open recall for the radar thing however I haven't received any official notification by mail.

Speaking of recalls, does toyota notify you if youre particular vehicle is affected by a recall or just assume you keep up with it on the toyota owners site? On my owners site it says mine has an open recall for the radar thing however I haven't received any official notification by mail.
Depends. I’ve got some notices by mail and others I haven’t. I have had the service department tell me I had open recalls at oil changes.
Best to keep up on what’s happening.

Back