Tire rub trim - 285/70/17 w 2” lift

conflictingintentions

I’ve got rubbing problems with these tires and lift. Driver side, front tire next to the cab. Forward and reverse 3/4 lock. Took care os some light trimming on the pinch, but i see rub marks on the part i took a picture of. That’s hardened steel for the cab mounts. Anyone have an alternative solution, or will i have to cut it. If i cut it, will i have to weld in a cover or support? Thanks

IMG_2241.jpg

Cab mount chop. There is lots of info on it.
What wheels are you running? Size and offset?

Three chops so far. Bought new 2010 FJ Trail Teams 188,000 no problems.
2007 Tacoma Double Cab 240,000
No problems.
2016 Tacoma Double Cab 78,000
No problems.
All were cut then welded plate over the opening. Several coats of POR-15 paint done.
285/75-16
295/75-16
305/65-17 tire sizes I ran.

Not sure about alignment numbers. I’ll check.
Width and offset should be fine. The 2” lift might not be enough to help clear everything if the alignment is good. 2.5-3” for 285’s... 1.5-2” the 275’s do well and look good... really anything less than 1.5” lift the 265’s are good. Or start trimming molding cutting and chopping to fix the rubbing.

Width and offset should be fine. The 2” lift might not be enough to help clear everything if the alignment is good. 2.5-3” for 285’s... 1.5-2” the 275’s do well and look good... really anything less than 1.5” lift the 265’s are good. Or start trimming molding cutting and chopping to fix the rubbing.

Thanks

Should have gotten 275s. Live and learn.
I have 285's with a 2" lift but my caster is higher than most call normal, 3.7 and 4.0. Wheels are 4.25 BS, -6mm OS. I had to do some trimming and molding in front and trimmed some in the back, I haven't done the CMC yet but plan to when I get time, but the only time it rubs is tucked and turned. Even that's not very bad.

I have 285's with a 2" lift but my caster is higher than most call normal, 3.7 and 4.0. Wheels are 4.25 BS, -6mm OS. I had to do some trimming and molding in front and trimmed some in the back, I haven't done the CMC yet but plan to when I get time, but the only time it rubs is tucked and turned. Even that's not very bad.
That’s why I was saying if the alignment is good ie caster 3.5-4.0 and he still is having major rubbing then it’s time to mold and trim. His 0 offset should be ok and the wheel width is ok so it’s either the alignment or just not enough lift. Either way 285’s will rub just depends on how much you are ok with. Haha

That’s why I was saying if the alignment is good ie caster 3.5-4.0 and he still is having major rubbing then it’s time to mold and trim. His 0 offset should be ok and the wheel width is ok so it’s either the alignment or just not enough lift. Either way 285’s will rub just depends on how much you are ok with. Haha
Exactly. 285's are going to rub but there are ways to compensate and hack everything out of the way.

Where's my chainsaw........

Back