Tonneau cover question for 2017 Tacoma DBL cab

eagleguy

I just purchased a LUND ELITE cover part number 958186 and have a couple of questions.

1. How much should the cover overlap the top of the rear tailgate which at the top middle is about 5" deep? When I line everything up and use the front and rear utility rail bracket inserts they supply for the clamp down I seem to get only a .5 overlap at the rear but the front is fine.

2. At its best the rear utility bracket insert for the OEM utility rail is at the very end of the rail making replacing the OEM plastic cap ends which you need to temporarily remove almost impossible. At that point the hold down clamps are not even perfectly vertical with the cover pushed up as far as it can go before it hits the rear of my cab.

Seems to me the cover may be a little short or LUND did not position the rear cross member brackets in the right position. I was expecting a cover that was full length but seem to have come up short unless that's the way it was supposed to be.

I called LUND and they have requested photos but I am wondering if I am missing something.

I just purchased a LUND ELITE cover part number 958186 and have a couple of questions.

1. How much should the cover overlap the top of the rear tailgate which at the top middle is about 5" deep? When I line everything up and use the front and rear utility rail bracket inserts they supply for the clamp down I seem to get only a .5 overlap at the rear but the front is fine.

2. At its best the rear utility bracket insert for the OEM utility rail is at the very end of the rail making replacing the OEM plastic cap ends which you need to temporarily remove almost impossible. At that point the hold down clamps are not even perfectly vertical with the cover pushed up as far as it can go before it hits the rear of my cab.

Seems to me the cover may be a little short or LUND did not position the rear cross member brackets in the right position. I was expecting a cover that was full length but seem to have come up short unless that's the way it was supposed to be.

I called LUND and they have requested photos but I am wondering if I am missing something.
Photos would be good here too. Not many active members have this cover. .5” over hang on the tailgate seems right. My bakflip MX4 cover is about .5” over my tailgate maybe even less.

The cover is basically coming up short as 4.5" of the top of my tailgate is exposed. Only a little of it is covered. Many covers I see on other trucks go right to the end.

Why is that? I just sent Lund photos showing how I am at the very edge of my utility rail using their lock down adapters. Worried that the end caps will pop off. It just seems they made the cover too short even though the convertible top like material is much better than vinyl! An extra inch and the mounting brackets where they should be would be good! If I can find a way to upload some photos I will.

My OEM is the same way. My last tonneau was too.
Yep all of the ones I have had have been designed like that. They don’t cover the entire top of the tailgate just .25-.5” or so. Just enough to prevent rain from coming in.

tried uploading photos but they are too large
Crop it some, get an app to change the size or email them to yourself and select a size smaller that 3Mb. That’s the picture size limit on this forums threads for now. It use to be 1Mb. I don’t know how any of us posted pictures.

Could you guys post some photos of where your soft cover tops land on the rear tailgate and how and where they lock down at the rear of the utility rail? I am getting ready to send this thing back if my issue with the rear rail inserts are not common. I am concerned over time that the lock down bracket will break if not fully seated on the rail clamp down insert. Do guys just leaver the plugs out and go all the way to the rear of the rails with the inserts?

Last edited:
Back