Toyota does not give a Spare Tailgate Key

Bobbyboy

Toyota does offer a spare tailgate key (this goes to the glovebox too) and I understand they will not cut a single spare key and one needs to order a whole set for a lot of money. Is there anything I can do to get a spare? This is not a standard but has a laser like cut. Misplace you key and you likely need to drill it out. Please advise if there is a solution to this problem.

From what I know they are normal keys and you should be able to get it cut at your local Home Depot/Lowes. Just don't use it to start your truck.

Last edited:
Does the glovebox on my '15 lock, I was looking at it the other day and I didn't see a lock on it?

My 2017 TRDOR fob works my tailgate and my glove box. I have the push start. I don't know if that makes a difference.

If you have a 2017 push button start with the "inside cut" style glove box / tailgate key, a lot of the locksmiths now have the capability to cut a duplicate. Much cheaper than the dealer doing the work or sending it back to Toyota for a second key.

If you have a 2017 push button start with the "inside cut" style glove box / tailgate key, a lot of the locksmiths now have the capability to cut a duplicate. Much cheaper than the dealer doing the work or sending it back to Toyota for a second key.

Have a 2017 TRD Sport without push button start. The ignition key works every lock including the tailgate.

Back