Trade Value

dmaples

I went to a Toyota dealer to see what they would give me on trade. My truck is a 2011 TRD Sport 4x4 with double cab long bed in excellent condition 79,000 miles. I was disappointed with their offer of $19,500. I've seen many trucks with a lot more miles and the price would be at least 4K higher.

I would try to sell it private party. Toyota is just trying to make money off your truck.

$19,500 is the starting point. They offered me $13,000 for my 2007 Tundra when I was trying to buy my 2017 taco. They ended up paying me $$21,800 to make the deal happen. $8,800 difference from what they offered to what they paid.
Know what your vehicle is worth, know how much the one you are buying is worth, know how much you want for your trade, know how much you want to Pay for the new purchase.
If you are buying something new off their lot tell them what you want and don't budge. They'll give it to you. They will act like your F'ing them. You aren't. They'll be fine.

The finance manager told me they aren't to worried about making money of the vehicle. Average is around $400, they get you into the vehicle and make the cash on service and accessories. Could of been a line but makes sense for these trucks, gold mine for them with all the options.

Watch out for the smoke and mirrors of rebates and bump stickers. Toyota rarely has a rebate but a dealership can fool you into thinking you are getting more for your trade than you actually are with their "adjusted market value" bump stickers.
Selling private party will get you the most money but as was previously stated just know what you want for your truck and how much it's worth.
As long as you're happy with the deal and don't get burned too bad in a trade it's all good.
How can you have a bad day when you drive home in a new Tacoma?

I traded in my 2006 Taco and it had 125k and they gave me $16,000.....but it was lifted...chrome off road rims...long bed...4x4...and four door. It was kept in immaculate shape because I'm kind of anal about vehicle maintenance. I was going to sell it but they gave me what I was going to ask for...but I negotiated the price of the new taco before I even suggested a trade in:)

Back