Transfer Case, Manual transmision and differentials

101gunner

I bought a maintenance manual for my truck and have been learning how to do standard maintenance on my own. I'm confused about something though. It says to service my transfer case lube (GL-5 SAE 75W-90 gear oil), differential lube (GL-5 SAE 90W gear oil), and manual transmission lubricant (Gl-5 75W-90). Are all these fluids the same thing? I know what the differentials are, but are the manual transmission and the transfer case the same thing? Because I know there are two diffs, one in the front and one in the back. And between them on the drive shaft is the transfer case right? Am I missing something?

The transfer case has both drive shafts coming out of it. The drain and fill plugs are on the back of the unit.

Any off the shelf gear oil will work fine. I use Lucas non sythetic 80W-90 inbthe diffs and transfer case. Not sure what the manuak tranny uses. I think Redline gear oil is preferred.

In the manual it says to also change the manual transmission fluid. Is that the same thing as you noted, just called two different names?

I used Valvoline Durablend synthetic blend in my front & rear diffs 80W-90 for the transfer case & manual tranny, (I have the 6 spd) I used Royal Purple Max Gear synthetic 75W-90. No issues using those oils.
Not sure what yr Taco you have but if it's before '08 check on rear diff for a sticker above the fill hole to see if it's mechanical LSD if so add the additive to it. Mine has it. You can also go to the dealer's part counter and give them your VIN number and have them print a copy of the build sheet for your truck to be sure. Mine has one and is one of few SR5's that got it. Most were put in the Sport editions I believe.

Thanks. What I'm trying to get at is this. Is the transfer case and the manual transmission the same thing? If not where is the spot where I change the manual transmission fluid. It's a 2010 Tacoma 4 cylinder by the way.

Thanks. What I'm trying to get at is this. Is the transfer case and the manual transmission the same thing? If not where is the spot where I change the manual transmission fluid. It's a 2010 Tacoma 4 cylinder by the way.

Ah, same gear oil different drain and fill plugs. I take it you have the 5 spd. The fill & drain plugs are highlighted for your tranny. The transfer case fill & drain plugs are not hard to miss they face the rear of your truck and are 24MM bolts. One hi, one low, you can use 15/16 socket as well.

Attachments

• 332425D.jpg
    332425D.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 68
Here's a pic of the transfer case fill & drain plugs, I circled them in yellow.

Attachments

• transfer.JPG
    transfer.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 68
I just did my front and rear diff including the transfer case and used the amsoil gl-5 75-90w and what a difference when u let off the gas the truck rolls a lot farther lol I changed it around 16000 and the stock fluids had a lot metal shavings which talking to Toyota that is normal. I hardly used 4x4. And the truck never goes off road . Toyota recommends after the change drive it for a few then recheck the levels the. Your all set

Real quick question I have the auto trans and the auto transfer case if you get the manual transmission does it come with a manual transfer case ? I'm not to happy with the auto transfer case it has no neutral and the electronic case kinda scares me for the future if any problems arise I heard the actuator is really expensive . A few times I used my 4x4 the transfer case "popped" and it did it again a few times I put the truck in neutral before I switched any feed back let me know thanks

I recommend all Mobil1 or Amsoil and diff additive for chater too,I use in all my parts,engine,Transmission,axles,power steering and brake fluids,coolants!!!ECT!!!ONLY these two brands!!!!

Just finished my front and rear diff fluid changes. Front diff took 1.7qts to fill..........drained out 1.4qts..........was low just a bit. Rear diff too 4.2qts to fill and drained out 3.8qts.......bout 1/2 qt low. Used Amsoil 75W-90 GL-5 Severe Gear.

Back