Transmission Fluid

robkyle

Really shot myself in the foot today. I have an '08 Tacoma, 6 cylinder, automatic, 4x4 extended cab. I was attempting to drain the oil, and realized almost right away I was draining transmission fluid, so I got the bolt back on. But knowing I had lost some transmission fluid, and not knowing how difficult it is to replace, I decided to go ahead and drain it since I'd have to replace some of the transmission fluid anyway. Then I went on-line, and discovered I'm not in a good situation.

The truck is in park, and I have not moved it. I would really appreciate if someone could kind of walk me through what I need to do to replace the transmission fluid. Is this something I can do myself, or is it really better done at a shop?

Thanks for the help. -Rob

Measure how much you drained out and replace at least that much. An '08 should be drained and filled every 30k according to the manual.

You didn't mention what speed transmission so.......
4-speed Auto = Toyota Genuine ATF Type T-IV fluid
2008 & earlier 2.1 quarts
2009 & after 2.9 quarts
5 speed Auto = Toyota Genuine ATF WS fluid
3.2 quarts

Refill:

Attachments

• trans.jpg
    trans.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Haven't had to change my tranny fluid yet, but I think my time is coming up. I've got 48,000mi on my truck and Im going to take it on a week long road trip coming up.

Im debating whether or not to wait till after the trip to change it, or before. I'm going to change the oil before the trip, but im a little cautious about the tranny fluid. I fried my tranny in my S10 a year ago changing the tranny fluid and replacing the filter improperly, so I dont want to make the same mistake. So I might just take it to Toyota and have them do it.

If I just change the fluid (draining then filling up at the overflow plug) would that suffice as a proper fluid change?

Proper fluid change requires dropping the pan and changing the filter. Doesn't do any good to just change the fluid. The filter will still have all the grime & gunk. It would be like changing your engine oil but not the oil filter.

:blink: meh, I must have a faulty manual then, it calls it a filter.

Attachments

• trans 1.jpg
    trans 1.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 65
When you look at the WIX filters website they list filters. Since I have been surfing the forums many people have said there is no filter. I have never dropped the tranny pan.

I understand why some call it a screen since that's basically what it is, a fine mesh screen. I'm guessing, they are thinking filters are only the paper kind. I don't have a filter since I have a manual transmission. But, this is what they look like.

The Tacoma '05~10 V6 5-speed uses HCT 1319. Not sure if they fit the '11~13.

Automatic-Transmission-Filters-for-Toyota.jpg

With screen style filters you can rinse them out with solvent or mineral spirits whatever you call it make sure its dried all the way you're good to go no need to buy new

Back