Transmission

jprins23

So I recently changed out my TC in my transmission. When filling the tranny with fluid again we put a quart in the TC and two quarts in the tranny till it started pouring out of the overfill hole. We then brought it up to running temp to expand the fluid. But what ended up happening is we had to add 5 more quarts instead. We def didnt take 7 quarts of fluid out in the beginning. Any one know what's going on here ?

I’ve seen this on a few old rides, none of them Toyota, but the problem was the tail shaft seal in my case.

We bought 7 quarts and used all of them. But when we dropped the pan at first we probably only lost about 3 quarts and what ever was in the Old TC. You think it would be down that much? It says it holds 11.5 quarts.
You would hope it wasn’t down that much.

We bought 7 quarts and used all of them. But when we dropped the pan at first we probably only lost about 3 quarts and what ever was in the Old TC. You think it would be down that much? It says it holds 11.5 quarts.

Toyota is known for it. It sounds like you followed the correct fill procedure.

We were trying to get the fluid up to operating temp where it would just trickle out of the overfill hole but instead we had to add a whole bunch of fluid and still no drainage out of the overfill. I'm assuming the fluid level is just below the hole where we want it but there's no knowing unless I add more fluid at operating temp

We were trying to get the fluid up to operating temp where it would just trickle out of the overfill hole but instead we had to add a whole bunch of fluid and still no drainage out of the overfill. I'm assuming the fluid level is just below the hole where we want it but there's no knowing unless I add more fluid at operating temp
You want to make sure it’s got the correct amount. These transmissions are a little finicky.

It should be filled until it stops dripping out the fill hole at operating temp. Yes just below the fill hole. Make sure it’s on a flat surface.

Back