VIN Number & Model Year Mystery

As a newbie here, I just purchased a used 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab and love it! I am however trying to solve a mystery which has left both the dealership and I puzzled.

The traditional new model year begins (vehicles leaving the plant) in July/August depending on manufacturer. Researching my vehicle's documents on the Toyota website, my vehicle was built at the Texas plant in October 2017, delivered in January 2018 and first put on the road in February 2018 on the 16th.

Now, on a Vehicle Identification Number starting from the right, the last 6 characters indicate the serial number (build sequence) of the unit. The 7th character from the right indicates the assembly plant and the 8th character (letter) indicates the model year [A=2011 model, D=2014 model] etc.. Now my 8th character is "H", indicating that it is a 2018 model.

So the mystery - the VIN clearly indicates my vehicle is a 2018 model year but the Monroney Sticker indicates a 2017 model year. It can't be both. When I visited the NHTSA site, it considered my vehicle (recall and TSB wise) as a 2018 as none of the 2017 recall/TSB notices applied.

I look forward to those Tacoma experts here weighing in on what model year my vehicle really is.

Many thanks!

Tacoma Dad
White 201? Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 Access Cab

All vehicle info comes from that VIN. If the VIN says its a 2018 then I'd believe that cause that's what the Courthouse is gonna follow when you go to pay the taxes. Insurance is gonna do the same and follow the VIN for coverage. Your bank whose financing this is gonna follow that VIN also. Congrats on the 2018 and Welcome to the forum!

All vehicle info comes from that VIN. If the VIN says its a 2018 then I'd believe that cause that's what the Courthouse is gonna follow when you go to pay the taxes. Insurance is gonna do the same and follow the VIN for coverage. Your bank whose financing this is gonna follow that VIN also. Congrats on the 2018 and Welcome to the forum!

Agreed. If the VIN says 2018 than it’s a 2018 for all intents and purposes.

All vehicle info comes from that VIN. If the VIN says its a 2018 then I'd believe that cause that's what the Courthouse is gonna follow when you go to pay the taxes. Insurance is gonna do the same and follow the VIN for coverage.
Your bank whose financing this is gonna follow that VIN also. Congrats on the 2018 and Welcome to the forum!
It's a 2018
Agreed. If the VIN says 2018 than it’s a 2018 for all intents and purposes.
+1^
Sounds like the docs got screwy somehow. Hopefully you got a good deal since it was last year’s model not a new 2018 haha

As a newbie here, I just purchased a used 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport Access Cab and love it! I am however trying to solve a mystery which has left both the dealership and I puzzled.

The traditional new model year begins (vehicles leaving the plant) in July/August depending on manufacturer. Researching my vehicle's documents on the Toyota website, my vehicle was built at the Texas plant in October 2017, delivered in January 2018 and first put on the road in February 2018 on the 16th.

Now, on a Vehicle Identification Number starting from the right, the last 6 characters indicate the serial number (build sequence) of the unit. The 7th character from the right indicates the assembly plant and the 8th character (letter) indicates the model year [A=2011 model, D=2014 model] etc.. Now my 8th character is "H", indicating that it is a 2018 model.

So the mystery - the VIN clearly indicates my vehicle is a 2018 model year but the Monroney Sticker indicates a 2017 model year. It can't be both. When I visited the NHTSA site, it considered my vehicle (recall and TSB wise) as a 2018 as none of the 2017 recall/TSB notices applied.

I look forward to those Tacoma experts here weighing in on what model year my vehicle really is.

Many thanks!

Tacoma Dad
Just a point of clarification, I thought H was 2017 and J 2018?

Just a point of clarification, I thought H was 2017 and J 2018?

Many thanks!

Tacoma Dad

Good catch @TucsonSteve. I didn’t even really pay much attention to the letters in the initial post actually. You’re absolutely right, H for 17 and J for 18.
IMG_0873.jpg

Back