Violent shaking at speed

teskicks

2005 SR5 TRD Off-road access cab

On a recent trip I experienced a vibration in the steering wheel that was bad enough to force me to pull over. I was going about 75 at the time. My first thought was a loose tire but they were all fine.

I continued to the next exit and check the front suspension and didn’t see anything out of place.

I decided to try to limp home at a lower speed. When I got back on the highway I kept the speed at or below 60 with no vibration.

Stopped for lunch and when we got back on the highway at 60 the vibration was back. I stopped and then restarted and was able to drive the rest of the way home (100 miles) with no problem at 60 or lower.

This has me stumped.

Any ideas what this could be?

On a recent trip I experienced a vibration in the steering wheel that was bad enough to force me to pull over. I was going about 75 at the time. My first thought was a loose tire but they were all fine.

I continued to the next exit and check the front suspension and didn’t see anything out of place.

I decided to try to limp home at a lower speed. When I got back on the highway I kept the speed at or below 60 with no vibration.

Stopped for lunch and when we got back on the highway at 60 the vibration was back. I stopped and then restarted and was able to drive the rest of the way home (100 miles) with no problem at 60 or lower.

This has me stumped.

Did ya figure it out yet?

This got me wondering... How is your tire wear? Front suspension/steering components (even bushings and tie rods) starting to fail could throw the alignment out. Wheel balance? Losing a weight or a few could screw things out as well.
Let us know your fix

Tires are brand new so looking for wear is not going to help.
Ok, I was implying alignment check, while looking at irregular tire wear.
Unfortunately there could be a few things going on, including a brake caliper getting stuck and warping a rotor... but that could also squeak. Also tire balance. Brand new tires needing a high speed balance?? Kinda shooting in the dark here.

Anyways, good luck, and please let us know what you find.

This started happening at the end of a two week vacation driving lumber roads in Maine. It could be that a tire was damaged from this. We were halfway through a 300 mile highway trip home when it started.

This started happening at the end of a two week vacation driving lumber roads in Maine. It could be that a tire was damaged from this. We were halfway through a 300 mile highway trip home when it started.
Sounds like you may have ripped a tire balancing weight off driving those lumber roads which wouldn't be noticeable a lower speeds.
On solid front axles a worn track bar bushing issue will cause "death wobble". I'm not familiar enough with the Toyota IFS to point you in the right direction there.

They replaced the rotors and told me that since I don’t drive my truck regularly that they had misshapen. Not sure I buy this explanation but so far the shaking is gone.

They replaced the rotors and told me that since I don’t drive my truck regularly that they had misshapen. Not sure I buy this explanation but so far the shaking is gone.
Interesting... Not sure if I buy that explanation as well... But, if new rotors cure your problem, then great!

This has me stumped.

Definitely have them balanced. If the problem persists I’d be looking at replacement if no knots are found.
I’ve had similar issues in a second gen. It was a balancing issue.

Back