Well we let the new Tacoma go ...

Gadget

Love the camaraderie amongst all the Tacoma Owners which was one of the reasons we bought our first Toyota Tacoma.

We had a 2017 Crew Cab SR5. The key word is had. We traded it yesterday for a new 2018 GM truck. We have almost exclusively owned GM trucks since 1975. And yes they have their own issues :)

As far as our Tacoma, we not happy with the sound of the Tacoma V6 motor whining all the time, the idle varying between 600-1000 rpm, the crazy automatic transmission shifting, not to mention the stupid way of having to check the transmission fluid level, the awful A/C bearing noise, leaky rear end seals, crazy demon choke which jerked all over the place until warmed up, horrible wind noise thru all 4 door seals and quite a few more issues as members know.

I know most of these issues might have been resolved, but there were so many.

I will say that the Tacoma did pull thru with flying colors on retaining its valve. We loss only about $480 on the Tacoma after one year ownership which was crazy cool.

We would like to wish all the owners well with their vehicles.

Take care,

M

Sorry to hear that. Toyota will get all this straightened out eventually. My 2nd gen doesn't have any of these issues except for no trans dipstick. [emoji849]

Last edited:
How long did it take for all your problems to surface? I only ask because I recently bought a leftover 2017 which currently has 300 miles and zero issues.

How long did it take for all your problems to surface? I only ask because I recently bought a leftover 2017 which currently has 300 miles and zero issues.
I noticed a lot of the issues stated above by 1000 miles. Most of the issues like rear Diff and the TSB’s would have already been fixed on your truck before you purchased it. I wouldn’t worry about any of them. Drive your truck and enjoy it. If you notice issues or anything you can ask on here or take it to the dealer you’ve got a 3 year 36k mile warranty on it.

I have not had any issues with my 2017 TRD and it has 6,500 miles. It is operating exactly as Toyota designed. Now that is not to say it has its quirks with the transmission that has driven me insane. I installed the Shiftsense Pro V2 this week and it has helped tremendously. It is a good truck.

I haven’t had any issues with mine except the annoying transmission shifts. But that is pretty well cleared up with more highway driving, driving it a little harder (not abusing it), and me getting used to it.
Like others have stated. If it breaks they gotta fix it.

Hope you have good service out of your new GM. Funny how that works with different folks. I was a 27 year loyal GM guy, and one POS in addition to the POS dealer ruined it for me. So far nothing but praise for my Toyota dealer and my rig.

I have not had any issues with my 2017 TRD and it has 6,500 miles. It is operating exactly as Toyota designed. Now that is not to say it has its quirks with the transmission that has driven me insane. I installed the Shiftsense Pro V2 this week and it has helped tremendously. It is a good truck.

Only had to go aftermarket for it to run as intended. :D

Last edited:
Recently did the opposite and traded my '16 Colorado for a '17 Tacoma OR. Happy with the Colorado but more happy with the Tacoma. Seems all vehicles have their quirks and problems. Happy you got a great deal on what you wanted!

Anyone see the latest issue of Consumer Reports. They really beat down on the Tacoma. Have had mine for a few months now with zero issues. Guess I am one of the lucky ones!

Anyone see the latest issue of Consumer Reports. They really beat down on the Tacoma. Have had mine for a few months now with zero issues. Guess I am one of the lucky ones!
Page 97 there was two things that check average and everything else was above average on the 17 the 16 had one thing worse than average minor trans problem l have lost alot of respect for consumer report's I think tere out to get the sales of tacoma

Page 97 there was two things that check average and everything else was above average on the 17 the 16 had one thing worse than average minor trans problem l have lost alot of respect for consumer report's I think tere out to get the sales of tacoma
They have been for years. You wonder who has stock in Ford and GM that works at CR. o_O

bd5444a927174bea9bc53a34466b06bb-jpg.15893

Back