What used Tacoma should I be shopping for?

BruceCooner

My wife wants a more practical vehicle than her Mustang, and I want something that requires fewer repairs than her Mustang.
(note that I do like and enjoy Mustangs, but I'm a pragmatist too)

She was talking about a full size truck, but I don't think we need quite that much utility.
She's never been interested in a Tacoma because she's heard they don't have much rear leg room, but I told her that literally almost anything will be an improvement over the Mustang's rear seat comfort, and I think I've won her over to my point of view.

I want reliability above all else, which means Toyota, and I think a Tacoma will give us about the utility we need.
I don't haul much beyond the occasional appliance or furniture item or landscaping supplies, but we might want to pull a small travel trailer at some point, which hopefully a V6 mid size truck could handle.

But I've never owned one and I don't know zip about Tacomas other than that they are literally everywhere.

I'm trying to avoid breaking the bank, so am looking at used ones.
I'd like to get something with plenty of life left in it, but given the Tacoma's reputation, I should be comfortable looking at well maintained 100-150K examples without feeling like I'm buying something that's already used up.

But before I start shopping seriously, I wanted to ask a forum of owners if there are years and engines and features to avoid.
I've read that 2010-2015 is considered the sweet spot for reliability.

Are there particular problem areas to watch out for?
Are they prone to rust in particular areas? (though here in Arizona it's not as much of an issue thankfully)
Are certain components known to go early or require replacement around mileage X?
Are there danger signs to look out for when looking over or driving one?

Any info to help me buy a good one is much appreciated.

Find a tacoma that's been certified, otherwise stay away unless you know its owner well. Same advice for any used vehicle. Usually when buying a used vehicle blind, you're buying someone else's problems with it. I stopped buying used years ago unless it was a boat, or some other toy I was familiar with working on it myself.
This was my first tacoma in 2020, but I did a lot of research on issues these 3rd gen trucks were having since 2016. I felt comfortable with getting a 2020 sr5 3.5 model as they have been around for years in other Toyota pickups. So far after 3 years, no issues.
All tacomas are prone to the infamous frame rot issue, and must be address with a rust inhibitor if you plan to own one 5 years or more in the rust belt.

my honest and useless opinion is trucks do not need 4 doors and full back seats
they then become SUVs with a bed, usually shorter than a 6ft ladder!.. then and no longer a truck imho which most must scorn

Suggest guiding her to an SUV or a CUV. You find an Access Cab Tacoma with a 6 ft useable bed after she find her ride.

But most importantly, LET HER CHOOSE HER RIDE. Your task is to guide her, but do not make a choice for her.

Many CUVs with good rear seat space and cargo capacity, Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V are just a couple good examples.

Be prepared....even used will strain the bank account. To give you an idea. I bought my '06 Tacoma in 2/20 with 105,xxx miles for $15,3xx. Prices have risen since then.

Same guidelines apply for buying any used vehicle. Get mechanic to inspect it FIRST. You may need to pay for the inspection. The mechanic should be able to detail all the areas that need attention. Used vehicles are an "AS IS" sale, meaning you have all the repairs/maintenance without a warranty. If the seller offers a warranty, get it in writing with details and signatures of seller/buyer and dated
Remember, Add-On modifictions DO NOT increase the value of the vehicle. The mods only impact curb appeal and most times the next buyer doesn't want the mods. KBB or NADA are good guidelines to the value of the vehicle.

Good Luck.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.

And trust me, I know better than to try any psyops on my wife.
A truck was her idea, but she's not married to a particular model. She was down on Tacomas because of what she'd heard, but after talking to an old neighbor who spoke highly of theirs she's decided they're on the list too. (which tells me how much influence I have)

We actually have a CR-V, which our kids use, and will likely go to one of them someday.
My wife appreciates its efficient utility, but she's just never been big on crossovers/SUV's, which strikes me as odd but we all have our prefs.
That said, if I found an old Lexus GX I think she'd be happy.

After a little googling and reading, I'm wondering how the crowd feels about the third gens, and the 2GR-FKS, or the 2GR's in general, given the timing chain cover oil leak issue. Sad that such a simple thing leads to such an involved repair.

Apparently the 2TR-FE 4-banger is a pretty solid choice though. Which I never see in any for sale (which means they're not out there or nobody is selling theirs).

I definitely agree on having anything I'm seriously considering inspected.
I had the CR-V inspected at a dealer and it made me feel a lot better about the purchase.

Toyotas 2.7 4cyl. is a great engine but, imo after test driving with one in their gen3 tacoma's, they're greatly underpowered. I too was hoping I'd be happy with the 4, but it was gutless with that automatic when it came to hills.

Back