Which lift kit is correct?

Jordan Mashos

I recently bought a 2012 Tacoma SR5 DCLB 4x4 etc. It is completely stock right now with 63,000 miles. I am going to college this fall and this will be my main vehicle.

I also will be using this pickup in the mountains when I go hunting and logging, and will be using it out on my families ranch driving around through the fields whenever I need to go build fences etc.

It will also be used as a response vehicle, response meaning I respond to the fire station, not to the scene. So it needs to be reliable, and not "bouncy".

I want to add a 3-4 inch lift to gain a little more clearance over brush for the body and to add taller tires to gain axle clearance over whatever I might run over.
It will be getting front and rear "ranch hand " style bumpers when I get the drafts finished and welded up, so he lift I add, needs to accommodate the weight, and still have desirable handling. I will also be pulling a small utility trailer from time to time with a 4 wheeler on it and whatever else I haul.

The advice I am looking for, is what lift would fit the purpose I am looking to accomplish. I don't need some performance off-road lift because it will see mostly highway miles. But, when I do go off-road, I want to have the clearance I need to protect the truck. I don't beat on my trucks, I am a firm believer that if you take care of it, it will take care of you.
So what lifts do you guys have or suggest.

I recently bought a 2012 Tacoma SR5 DCLB 4x4 etc. It is completely stock right now with 63,000 miles. I am going to college this fall and this will be my main vehicle.

I also will be using this pickup in the mountains when I go hunting and logging, and will be using it out on my families ranch driving around through the fields whenever I need to go build fences etc.

It will also be used as a response vehicle, response meaning I respond to the fire station, not to the scene. So it needs to be reliable, and not "bouncy".

I want to add a 3-4 inch lift to gain a little more clearance over brush for the body and to add taller tires to gain axle clearance over whatever I might run over.
It will be getting front and rear "ranch hand " style bumpers when I get the drafts finished and welded up, so he lift I add, needs to accommodate the weight, and still have desirable handling. I will also be pulling a small utility trailer from time to time with a 4 wheeler on it and whatever else I haul.

The advice I am looking for, is what lift would fit the purpose I am looking to accomplish. I don't need some performance off-road lift because it will see mostly highway miles. But, when I do go off-road, I want to have the clearance I need to protect the truck. I don't beat on my trucks, I am a firm believer that if you take care of it, it will take care of you.
So what lifts do you guys have or suggest.
Welcome to the forum. Let’s see some pictures of this Tacoma.
That is some write up and very detailed on what your needs are and how you’ll be using it. There is a few options but mostly depends on your budget. So after all that what’s your budget?

You’re not going to be want to go 4” with a 4x4 they don’t really make any kits for that height. 2.5-3” is as much as I would lift a Tacoma 4x4. They handle best at less than 3” with 285/75/16 tires on 0 or -6 offset wheels. At 3” you’ll probably want new UCA to get the alignment right.
For your described usage on a budget I would get 886 OME coils, 90000 shocks and a rear Dakar leaf pack. That will allow for the extra weight of the bumpers and height you’re talking about while still providing a decent ride quality.
Something like this with the upgrades I talked about above is about $1600 if you install it yourself.
You can do a little better if you have more money. You may want to replace the UCA as well so now you’re getting to the $2000 price tag at this point.
Heres a link for the kit I am talking about.

https://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/toyota-tacoma/2005-2015/ome-suspension-lift-kit/

I bought a very similar 3" kit from pro comp and installed it a could of weeks ago. It ended up adding almost 4" but I suspect that height will settle down over time. The kit came with diff drop and skid plate spacers, as well as sway bar Mount brackets.

I'm pretty happy with it but I did notice a slight vibration upon launch in the driveline since. I'm wondering if I over looked something?

I bought a very similar 3" kit from pro comp and installed it a could of weeks ago. It ended up adding almost 4" but I suspect that height will settle down over time. The kit came with diff drop and skid plate spacers, as well as sway bar Mount brackets.

I'm pretty happy with it but I did notice a slight vibration upon launch in the driveline since. I'm wondering if I over looked something?
Carrier bearing drop kit/spacer from arb.

It will do MUCH more benefit than that front diff drop, those are just money grabbers that hardly rotate the front diff.

Also, any decent coil should be scragged from the factory and not settle.

I have the Toytec Boss kit 2 1/2" lift and removed the diff drop spacers. I also get some shudder starting from a stop. Not bad but noticeable. goes away at about 10-15 MPH. About the same with and without the diff drop spacers. What do ya recommend for the carrier drop kit?

Last edited:
I got the ome kit with 885 coils (stock front bumper) the Dakar leaf springs and there shocks at all four corners. I love it! The ride is great! My kit came with the carrier bearing spacers so no vibration for me. It gave me 3” of lift at all four corners. Put on cooper stt pro 285 75 16 and so far no rubbing. I’ve yet to really get the wheels stuffed up in the wells but good so far. I didn’t get the upper control arms. Tried the alignment first and they were able to get it in with out them.

Thanks.......wonder why they don't come with the lowering kits? Or do they think the diff drop kits will take care of the shudder?

BTW, ordered the kit with free shipping from Amazon
Order Summary
Item(s) Subtotal:
$12.99
Shipping & Handling:
$0.00

Total before tax:
$12.99
Estimated tax to be collected:
$1.33

Grand Total:
$14.32
Front diff drop wont do a thing for rear driveline angles.
I cant speak for them and why they want to charge for a useless part and not reccommend/include a part that does actual good.

Front diff drop wont do a thing for rear driveline angles.
I cant speak for them and why they want to charge for a useless part and not reccommend/include a part that does actual good.

But the add a leaf came with a small spacer that is tapered to change the rear diff angle but probably doesn't do anything at the carrier.

But the add a leaf came with a small spacer that is tapered to change the rear diff angle but probably doesn't do anything at the carrier.

The taper is specific... cant recall if it faces front or rear.
If neither of these work, u may have bad carrier bearing, or a trans issue i supppose.

Back