Why do Tacomas get poor gas mileage $

JDC

Give us your view on how to get better mpg.
1. Proper tire pressure. Factory specs.
2. Window visors and bed cover for less drag.
3. Don't share vehicle. Trans learning your driving.
4. Remove unnecessary weight.
I have found if using cruise control with auto pacing saves 2 mpg per gallon. Riding in the draft of other vehicle using the same saves 3 mpg.
THE LARGE front grill catches tons of air and its trapped for the most part. Acts like a parachute slowing the vehicle big time. DYI design anybody?
87466a7217c6d6ae707d88c06942bfe9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I didnt buy mine because of the awesome gas mileage. It's a truck and trucks just dont get good MPG, except for Elon Musk's radical electric truck. To get the best mileage keep your foot out out of it and drive 60 to 65 mph. Me, I'm balls to the wall whenever possible and dont worry about it. I want smiles to the gallon, not miles.

I guess it depends some on what year you have. I have 2020 4WD auto V6. Read somewhere that the transmission was reworked some to help with the gas mileage. I'm getting 26 highway, 22 city. No complaints.
Oh yea, forgot to add - I have a tonneau cover. Maybe that helps.

Last edited:
I have a 2020 off road V 6. Hope I get your mileage when its get broken in. I would be a happy camper. Getting around 18 now.

I guess it depends some on what year you have. I have 2020 4WD auto V6. Read somewhere that the transmission was reworked some to help with the gas mileage. I'm getting 26 highway, 22 city. No complaints.
I have a 2020 off road V 6. Hope I get your mileage when its get broken in. I would be a happy camper. Getting around 18 now.

A lot depends on where you live and the geography of the roads. Lots of hills and stop and go you’re going to get low MPG. Long flat open country roads or hwy’s you’re going to see that 22-26.
I’d never get 22 mpg where I live. To many hills, curvy roads and mountains.

I have 20 TSS 4x4 v6 and maybe get 20 mpg on interstate. Now put me on highway only doing about 58 on cruise and ill get 24-25 mpg. I also have right over 20,000 miles

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I got 37,500 on my 2016 sport with hard tonneau 1.5 lift w/265/70/17 Hankook dyna pro a/t I get ,18-20 around town and 22-24 ish on highway I never use cruise control .I only run in S-mode with ECT on and hardly ever use 6th gear it drops rpm's down and feels sluggish . I love the way it winds up more in ECT mode especially if you shift it yourself .Way more fun .it seems to have a power band after 3500 rpm!

Give us your view on how to get better mpg.
1. Proper tire pressure. Factory specs.
2. Window visors and bed cover for less drag.
3. Don't share vehicle. Trans learning your driving.
4. Remove unnecessary weight.
I have found if using cruise control with auto pacing saves 2 mpg per gallon. Riding in the draft of other vehicle using the same saves 3 mpg.
THE LARGE front grill catches tons of air and its trapped for the most part. Acts like a parachute slowing the vehicle big time. DYI design anybody?
87466a7217c6d6ae707d88c06942bfe9.jpg

Smiles per gallon are way more important in a Tacoma... lol

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Here are the data from US News. These are all 2019 or 2020.
Get a turbo and there is small increase in mileage.
But I don't think we can complain. Look at the Ridgeline.
  • Frontier 17/22 mpg in the city/hw.
  • Tacoma – V6 19/24 mpg city/hw
  • Colorado – Turbodiesel 20/30 mpg city/hw
  • Ridgeline – V6 19/26 mpg city/hwy
  • Ranger – Turbocharged Four-Cylinder 21/26 mpg city/hwy

I keep up with my mpg pretty good, been tracking from day one. I have k&n filter with aftemarket muffler with dual exhaust. And drive 90 miles round trip 5 days week to work. Averaging 60 to 70 mph. Guess this isnt to bad for a truck. Plus its hard for me to keep my foot off the pedal. Its just so fun to drive.
33a3e78c12f494a979b4d569b783a93a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I know right I love my truck mine is stock exhaust on a '16 sport but when u drive in s mode and wind a little between 2nd -3rd its got a nice raspy without sounding too tuner tone to it .

I average around 21 MPG if I stay below 85 MPH. It picked up around 11,000 miles. Going from 32 to 36 PSI in my tires helped too.

I got back last night from a trip to Cincinnati. Drove the 2020 4x4 4Runner the dealership loaned me. It averaged 19 MPG going around 85 MPH, but I doubt that's right. I had to fill up 3 times both ways. Only have to fill up my truck 2 times on the same trip.

Back