2019 2.7 Cold Start Rattle

ecenter

2019 Tacoma SR 2.7 just developed a rattle noise on cold starts. Out of nowhere this started and it is very random. Seems to be more common when it has set for a day or two. But not always. I have replaced tensioner, serpentine belt, both idlers, run correct Toyota full synthetic oil and Toyota OEM filter.

Please listen and offer any opinions. Greatly appreciated!

Depending on your location, the tempeatures are dropping. This alone will cause internal engine parts to shrink. Its not a dramatic shrink, only in the 1000ths of an inch range. So clearances between parts get a little bit bigger.

The rattle should disappear as the oil begins to refill the circuit and as parts warm up.

After start up, just sit there for a moment or 2 idling until the "rattle" begins to subside. Then drive off, go easy for some distance. No WOT shenanigans. No need to sit there idling waiting for the engine to reach operating temperature.

One more point......unload the parts cannon. I doubt if there are any problems.

BTW, this is normal for all engines. The "rattle" will likely increase the longer it sits and the colder the temperature.

I had an ol' Buick in college. When temps dipped under 0 degrees, at start up it sounded like the 455 was gonna jump out of the car. But I'd give it a minute for a calmer sound, then drive off.

Last edited:
Geez, i can't ever recall an engine rattle in my tundra that had 300k miles on it from shrinking engine parts. Serpentine belt, fan clutch, tensioners yes, but usually those noises are there all the time. Still had the original alternator to.
I had an old 22re engine in one of my toyotas that had the timing chain tensioner make a noise upon startup like the op's. It use to go away once the engine ran a few seconds.

Thanks, I’m just confused because it has never done this during winter or temps down into the teens. And only 65,000 miles. ‍♂️

My guess it has to do with you're VVT. Try holding accelerator to floor and cranking a have dozen rotations or so then let off accelerator and it will start, and hopefully no rattle. You might try some engine flush on you're next oil change to see if that helps. Even though you're using the Toyota OEM oil and filter that doesn't mean it's taking care of everything as it should.

My guess it has to do with you're VVT. Try holding accelerator to floor and cranking a have dozen rotations or so then let off accelerator and it will start, and hopefully no rattle. You might try some engine flush on you're next oil change to see if that helps. Even though you're using the Toyota OEM oil and filter that doesn't mean it's taking care of everything as it should.
I don’t quite understand your description of the accelerator to the floor and crank. Give me a little more detail if you can. Much appreciated!!

By pushing accelerator to floor and cranking you're basically pre oiling before you're letting the engine fire. You're getting the oil to circulate ahead of starting the engine, granted it's not a complete pre oil but enough to start bringing the pressure up. I don't know if Toyota has them or not but some VVT selinoids have tiny screens at their base and if they start to get clogged up it causes issues.

Curious.....what keeps the engine from firing the sparkplugs with the accelerator on the floor??

My 16 yo 4.0L fires and starts within 1-2 seconds. Essentially immediately. I'm skeptical if any level of oil pressure has developed within that brief time.

Curious.....what keeps the engine from firing the sparkplugs with the accelerator on the floor??

My 16 yo 4.0L fires and starts within 1-2 seconds. Essentially immediately. I'm skeptical if any level of oil pressure has developed within that brief time.
Mine fires that quick as well. Thus my confusion.

Gettin' up there in age, are ya? LOL

I've been watching some vvt teardowns from the car care nut utube channel
Where it doesn't get oiled at the the top somewhere and the chain or gear gets off kiltered and needs replaced

Is that what these newer tacomas are up against as well

Maybe a warranty issue?

Whenever you're holding accelerator to the floor it does something in the computer that won't let it start, if I was more computer savvy I'd be able to explain it. It's kinda like the old carbureted engines, if you flooded it, hold the throttle wide open and crank to clear. I first heard about this in relation to a Ford which also seems to have these issues. The simple fix would be for the engineers to program computer to extend crank time by just seconds before letting the engine start.

This cam gear noise in the video above sounds almost exact to mine. Any thoughts from all you pros, on the VVTI Cam gear being an issue? If so, just keep driving till it does it regular enough for Toyota to catch it? Or just drive it like there is not a problem. Thanks!

Well, let me say right off the top, I'm not a pro. That being said I wouldn't just keep driving it and not do anything. If you're waiting on Toyota to catch it it will be when you're engine blows and you need a new one. Next oil change I'd run a bottle of flush thru the engine to clean out possible gunk, then try another brand of oil. Be careful with the flush, follow instructions to the T. The problem already exists so experimenting some to try to get rid of it ain't gonna hurt anything. Asking Toyota is gonna get you the answer that that's normal, they all do it.

Heck one isn't suppose to have any issues with the 2.7, its bulletproof. All the crying is on the 3.5 claiming its a pos in the tacoma.

Replaced both idlers. No noise for 4 weeks. Thought l got lucky. Then today, it’s back. Guess I gotta drive it till it’s making the noise, for diagnosis. Who knows???

Ok. Still very random and even seemed much better and further apart until this morning. Not cold (50 degrees). Last week I Changed my VVT oil solenoid / control valves as a last ditch effort and also switched to a “Tacoma oil forum” recommended Mobil 1 Extended Performance along with staying with the OEM Toyota filter. One week after, I get this same rattle, but it doesn’t fade and go away on its own. I simply turned off the key. Then restarted with ZERO noise. Which now makes me wonder if something is sticking, hanging up, possible starter solenoid hanging, or the pin in the VVT finally sticking?? Is it my oil change, I’m still with 0W20 full synthetic?? I still think it sounds in the top end. But this is the first time that it seemed that it would not stop on its own. It stayed solid until I turned the key off. Then not a peep on an immediate re-start. Any other advice? TIA

Back