2023 6spd manual grinds

23TxTaco

Hi,
I have a 2023 V6 4x4 Tacoma with the RC62 6spd manual. I bought it new with 12 miles on it, 8 of which my dad did test driving it before I drove 3 hours to get it.
Long story short, since new it will clunk when going into 1st from a stop...3/5 times.
It will refuse (grinds) the gear when you are rolling 1-2 mph and push in the clutch and try to get it in 1st...you have to put it in 2nd then 1st...it is fine everytime then. Going from 6th to 3rd at 25mph around a yield grinds 2/5 times unless you shift 4th with clutch still in....then it will go into 3rd just fine...everytime.
I was told to try to change the gear oil to a gl4 conventional like Coastal 80w90 from my farm supply. It has Redline MT 90 in it now..it is the same as it was on the factory fluid.

I have been driving manuals for 25 years and never had one do this. I've had a 1999 Ford Powerstroke 6spd 331k still on the factory clutch when sold...just new Mercon V every year. And clutch bleed every 3 years
1995 Ranger 5spd 413k miles factory clutch when sold...just new Mercon V every year and clutch bleed every 3 years.
Currently have 2010 Powerstroke 6spd manual that's been perfect.
What is the issue with the RC62 manual?
Best fluid? It grinds on the Toyota fluid and MT90 when you don't grab 2nd and 4th first.
Dustin

Sounds like bad synchros, or something screwed up with shift mech.. With all the automatic transmissions today, it's odd to even have a manual. I'm surprised they still know how to build them.

My 3rd gen 6mt was kinda funky for the first couple thousand miles or so. 120k miles later it is fine. Keep driving it like a break in period.

Love the auto in this tacoma. Its spot on for every road condition, so smooth. My tundra auto was good to. Long as you adhere to their fluid drain and change schedule, these asin auto's are bulletproof. Never had an issue with my tundra auto in the nearly 300k miles i owned it.

Sounds like bad synchros, or something screwed up with shift mech.. With all the automatic transmissions today, it's odd to even have a manual.
Agreed something is odd with the synchro gearing. Take it back to a dealership. It should be covered by warranty.

If you have mixed fluids, Toyota fluid and MT90, you may have voided the warranty or aggravated the problem. Trannys never completely drain, always some quantity of previous fluid remains.

Last edited:
my local dealer drains the MT tranny by sucking it all out
costs over 200$ for that sucking wallet service

Sounds like bad synchros, or something screwed up with shift mech.. With all the automatic transmissions today, it's odd to even have a manual. I'm surprised they still know how to build them.
God save the MT !!!

582148_229787440468903_1882470152_n.jpg

I guess if your one of the hardcore off road guys that needs a manual, can't argue that, but for the rest of us the auto is hard to beat. I can't find a single complaint with the auto in my 2020 sr5.

i'm more of a hardcore big city driver...
rowing them gears in bumper-to-bumper traffic keeps it interesting and engaging
an auto in this Chicago traffic would drive me batkrap stir crazy!

IMG_3282.JPG
...can't wait to row them gears on the BQE in NYC
data=XdouEtRZUwhTPnAwj5b-3wvW_zlukkVddpiodqqhAGQvlB8SIUP8PwZGLItn18DywZpEoLaXvKbj26Eb0an-ntF_XU96sCZAHkVWleocyGWwu_w3UKfzGptDlg5gI77Yd91i62_wpqLKxhZZlReZo8Sr9x9mQdZADbprZXJ1tB7Sk7YkVWzVcdeQ_R_yMdlsGq8tnHhjLbkP7TlScc0A7LIuGUHcDIvotf3z4GI2zs5kzLncLp7mE7pd-iSnft7wZPBZeeU_ww

Update- I filtered and put MT 90 back in. As hail Mary, I bled the clutch. It's been absolutely amazing so fair...zero issues. Better than when I picked it up from dealer. The clutch had air in it from the factory....bubbles during bleeding...she's now perfect.

Be a real man....row your own. Only girls own automatic...actually, even the women in my circles drive manuals. ..time to give up your man card....kidding sorta

Be a real man....row your own. Only girls own automatic...actually, even the women in my circles drive manuals. ..time to give up your man card....kidding sorta

FWIW. Many modern semi-tractors have automatics.

You willing to make that claim around a truck stop cafe full of OTR drivers????

BTW, being a man has nothing to do with the ability to shift.

Whoa whoa whoa there 23TxTaco :oops: . My daily driver is a MT as well but please don't bash the AT owners on this website. Taco lovers come in all shapes and sizes and some of them can no longer drive a stick-shift due to age, health, or disabilities. I love your enthusiasm about our third pedal but please keep it respectful.

Congratulations on your 2023 V6 4x4 Taco 6spd manual. You're going to love it. And welcome to the forum. You are going to find a lot of good and knowledgable people on this here website. We love pictures of newly purchased Tacos ! By the way, have you named your Tacoma yet ?

Attachments

• image0-2.jpeg
    image0-2.jpeg
    695.1 KB · Views: 3
  • image0-5.jpeg
    image0-5.jpeg
    814.5 KB · Views: 3
FWIW. Many modern semi-tractors have automatics.

You willing to make that claim around a truck stop cafe full of OTR drivers????

BTW, being a man has nothing to do with the ability to shift.
I for one don't wish to go backwards when I can have an automatic. I had manual 4wd toyota pickups back in the 70's...got tired of replacing clutch's every 100k. I'd rather do just drain and refills with these auto's.....lot cheaper, and easier.

Back