Aftermarket touchscreen radio

Ragnar The Redneck

Well-Known Redneck
My 2009 Gen2 doesn't have the stock radio, just a single DIN aftermarket Sony. I am looking to replace it with a double DIN touchscreen unit with hands-free and XM satellite. There is also an OEM backup camera that displays in the rearview mirror.

What I would like to be able to do is to replace the single DIN with a double DIN and have the OEM backup camera display on the aftermarket system.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any recommendations? I would hate to have to reinvent the wheel when someone has already been down this path.

Thanks!!!!

Go to the Crutchfield website.

Follow the prompts for your truck's year, make, model and cab configuration.

A search engine will sift through the chaf to find the units fitting your truck.

Crutchfield also has all the ancillary bits to make install nearly plug-n-play

Something you may want to consider. Touchscreens require you to remove your eyes from the road to make adjustments. Knobs allow adjustments to be made by touch. Example. Adjusting the volume when your tune comes on. Touchscreens have menus to niggle thru needing visual input. Knobs only require touch without looking from the road.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! I have already been on the Crutchfield site. They are great for knowing what fits and getting everything connected and installed properly. They just aren't that great with super specifics. Me: "Does the radio work with stock camera?" CF: "Yes." Me: "How well, resolution wise, how clear?" CF: "It works. We also sell a replacement camera that attaches to the license plate frame..."

As far as the touchscreen and knobs... I am a knob person, but I do have the radio controls on the steering wheel, they still work with the Sony, so as far as changing volume, presets or modes, I am all set. Also, I have iDrive in my BMW. Try entering an address with a rotary knob :eek: On the good side of that, I can use voice control, which is awesomely implemented.

I am mainly looking for some insight as to what has worked, especially with the stock camera. Does the stock camera in the 2009's even have enough resolution to output clearly onto a 7 inch HD display?

Hmmm.....camera and screen resolution are only as good as the worst of the 2. I can understand how CF wasn't able to give a definitive answer. An 8 bit camera on a 16 bit screen will look like 8 bit resolution. There is no way CF could know the camera resolution on every model vehicle.

Frankly, rearview cameras are a whizbang with marginal use. The simple act of turning your head around will give you much broader/better view of what is going on behind you. Also rear cams only see directly behind you, they do not see what is approaching from the right or left.

Another point to consider. Does the resolution need to be extra fine to see what you are about to run into? Don't really matter much if its a person or a car or a truck......you only need to see the object.

Just offering thoughts.

Thanks again for the reply. Well, being totally blind in one eye, and having macular degeneration in the other, I need all of the help I can get. The 2012 Corolla S I had, did have an impressive camera and screen, and I could see if there were any vehicles approaching from either side fairly well. The 2014 Camry was the same as well. The iDrive screen in my BMW, while shorter overall, is wider and is HD, and I can see very well if anything is approaching from either side. I use my mirrors while backing, though (used to have a huge Ford Transit 350 service van and had to rely on mirrors).

It would be nice to know what the stock camera resolution is, and if it does work well with an aftermarket head unit. If it doesn't, the size and placement of the stock Toyota camera looks very similar to the size and placement of the BMW camera, so it should not take much to fit one in.

Thanks again for the reply. Well, being totally blind in one eye, and having macular degeneration in the other, I need all of the help I can get. The 2012 Corolla S I had, did have an impressive camera and screen, and I could see if there were any vehicles approaching from either side fairly well. The 2014 Camry was the same as well. The iDrive screen in my BMW, while shorter overall, is wider and is HD, and I can see very well if anything is approaching from either side. I use my mirrors while backing, though (used to have a huge Ford Transit 350 service van and had to rely on mirrors).

It would be nice to know what the stock camera resolution is, and if it does work well with an aftermarket head unit. If it doesn't, the size and placement of the stock Toyota camera looks very similar to the size and placement of the BMW camera, so it should not take much to fit one in.
How do you pass the Driver License eye test????

Been totally blind in one eye since I was 15. No law against driving with one eye... MD isn't bad enough, yet. I have about four or five years of good enough vision to drive. Up until a few years ago, I amateur raced in the SCCA, NASA and BMWCCA. Most recently Spec E30 and Spec E36 (BMW). I did race a Mk3 Supra at one time. It wasn't really podium competitive, but it was fun.

Another question....

Did the 2nd gen Tacos ever have phone controls on the steering wheel? Mine has the radio controls on the left side, and a blank pod on the right (normally where Toyota puts the phone controls). It would be nice to have that functionality when I do replace my head unit. Thanks!!!!

If not, I'll see if I can find some from another Toyota and get the wiring as well and then program the Maestro use them. Even if the Taco had them, I'd still have to program them for use...

I don't know if that was an option on the Gen2.

You may need to source a steering wheel from a Gen3 and the clock spring from a Gen3. Prolly take some bodging to make it all work.

If I need to I could get the switches and wiring from a 3rd gen, then 3d print what I would need to make it look good and attach to the steering wheel. Thanks for the reply. Didn't think about using a 3rd gen. Also, may be able to use the phone switches from other Toyotas.

Just thought... The switches for the 3rd gens are on the spokes, not the hub.

Ugh! I wish Toyota had what we have for the BMWs, an online TIS, Technical Information System. Not only does it tell how to repair any BMW and what tools are needed, but also current and past part numbers and cross references of those part numbers.

The Gen2 has the center of the steering wheel filled with airbag. Very short spokes.

Probably need to swap steering wheels with something along with a few extra bits.

FWIW, have 2nd thoughts about the 3D print. They will always look out of place.

The Gen2 has the center of the steering wheel filled with airbag. Very short spokes.

Probably need to swap steering wheels with something along with a few extra bits.

FWIW, have 2nd thoughts about the 3D print. They will always look out of place.

Since I already have the radio controls, all I need is the phone control pad (Toyota Part #84244-35030-B0) and the subassembly cable that goes from the phone control to the radio control (84204-58010). Nothing else is needed, clock spring is already wired correctly. I already have the phone control pad that goes on the right side, the cable is unavailable right now, but as soon as I can get my hands on one, these will go on the steering wheel. No steering wheel swap needed, thank goodness.

The airbag cover needs to be removed, the blank pad on the right needs to be removed, the radio control needs to be removed to attach the cable and attach to the phone control and reinstall. I haven't had the pad off, but I am hoping there is enough room that I do not have to remove the airbag, but if I do, no biggie.

I just got a Kenwood Excelon DMX908S, not their top of the line under 7" screen, but next step below. I'm in the process of programming and installing it. Looking at the wiring diagrams to find where the wires are for the backup camera. The stock camera isn't an HD camera, but it is high enough resolution that the screen will be clear.

I love it when a plan comes together!

I'm torn between 2 units from Crutchfield, both are Kenwood Execelon models DMX7709S or DMX709S. The difference isn't huge $50, but the 709 has HD radio.

The decision is on hold while other projects have priority. Target is later this summer.

1 year ago, I applied sound damping and sound absorption in the doors and back wall. Then installed Pioneer 6x9 components (front) and Kenwood 6 3/4 3-way (rear).

Sound is greatly improved. Unfortunately, the OEM head unit is short on power to properly drive these speakers. Not a big surprise, I expected as much. So, the system changes will be completed in stages.

Unless you listen to HD radio, go with the 7709. My experience with HD radio is... Meh... I can take it or leave it. If I lived in a large metro area, it would be nice to have, but from traveling all over the southeastern US, HD radio is really only available in large metro areas. Smaller cities, like Chattanooga, Tn, Asheville, NC, Valdosta, Ga, Knoxville, Tn don't have HD radio stations. Atlanta, Birmingham, Nashville, Charlotte do have them, though. It expanded the radio band somewhat, but for traveling a lot, you cannot beat SiriusXM, except for the price.

I probably would have gone with a cheaper head unit, but I wanted native USB-C connectivity and either a real volume knob or physical buttons.

Now, I just need to get the backup camera wired in, I think the access for it is under the left switches, behind the left side cubby, on one of the fuse panels. At least it looks that way on the wiring schematic...

Got the Kenwood headunit installed and everything except backup camera and steering wheel phone controls are working right now! Radio controls are working perfectly! YAY!

Just waiting to get a sub-assembly wiring harness to connect the left and right steering wheel controls together, and then to get off my lazy assprin bottle to connect the backup camera.

I also installed a dedicated USB-C and USB-A charging point in one of the blanked off panels in the console, and a USB-C port for the radio where the lighter socket was. I am using that socket to power my dedicated Garmin GPS.

Attachments

• New Radio Off.jpg
    New Radio Off.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Radio Pic01.jpg
    Radio Pic01.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Radio Pic02.jpg
    Radio Pic02.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Radio Pic03.jpg
    Radio Pic03.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Radio Pic04.jpg
    Radio Pic04.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 0
I got a break from the rain and other projects and I finally got the hands-free phone steering wheel controls added. This is fairly easy if you already have the steering wheel radio controls, as you do not need to change out the clock spring.

If your steering wheel does not resemble the first photo, you will need a new clock spring as well. Sorry, I do not have the part number handy.

Edit: You will also need a radio head unit and controller like an iDatalink Maestro.

The parts needed are:
Control, Steering 84244-35030-B0
Cable, Sub-Assy 84204-58010

Attachments

• 20230703_153806.jpg
    20230703_153806.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230703_154213.jpg
    20230703_154213.jpg
Last edited:
First, disconnect the battery.

Second, remove the covers on the back side of the steering wheel cover, left and right, by gently prying from the side opposite of the instrument panel. These are shown in the first two photos.

Third, loosen the Torx bolts that hold the airbag, on either side of the steering wheel. These should not come out

Attachments

• 20230703_154326.jpg
    20230703_154326.jpg
    892.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230703_154317.jpg
    20230703_154317.jpg
    995.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230703_153914.jpg
    20230703_153914.jpg
    929.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230703_153904.jpg
    20230703_153904.jpg
    1,011.5 KB · Views: 0
Fourth, the airbag and cover should now be able to be removed. If you want, you can disconnect the airbag and set it aside. I did not disconnect it, just placed on top of steering column.

Fifth, remove the screw holding the radio control and the screw holding the blank control.

Attachments

• 20230703_154711.jpg
    20230703_154711.jpg
Sixth, remove the blank control by gently lifting it from the steering wheel, and keep for your collection.

Seventh, remove the radio control in the same manner.

Eighth, place one end of the ribbon cable (84204-58010) in the radio control (it will only go one way), replace the radio control, and then secure it with the removed screw.

Nineth, thread the ribbon cable behind the spokes inside the wheel.

Tenth, place the other end of the ribbon cable (84204-58010) into the back of the phone control (84244-35030-B0), place the radio control where the blank was located, and then secure it with the other screw.

Attachments

• 20230703_154941.jpg
    20230703_154941.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230703_155405.jpg
    20230703_155405.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Back