Catalytic converter problem

Mel Bjork

2008 tacoma 255,000 miles, I just had a valve job done and now I'm throwing a 420 code
Likely Causes For P0420 Trouble Code In A Toyota

A failed catalytic converter. Other less likely problems: an issue with the coolant temperature sensor, an exhaust manifold leak, a spark timing issue, leaking fuel injectors, misfires, or fuel oil contamination.

I put Seafoam in the tank today but it started running bad, losing power on acceleration, it idles very smooth. When I'm parked if i rev the throttle I hear a bunch of clattering from the Cat. I just removed the cat and a bunch of stuff fell out, kind of a ceramic looking material, couple questions is the cat shot? And any ideas on a new cat that can be shipped to California that won't break the bank?

Could try flowmaster. They worked for my tundra without throwing a code. Check the o2 sensors also. 2 were toast on my tundra v8, and the other 2 needed replacement shortly after.

Anyone know anything about these company's in Canada selling catalytic converters on Ebay for under $200? I found one on Ebay.

Edit: I just ordered one from ebay, I'll let you know how it works, I'm not sure what to think for $137?

Last edited:
I haven't been in commmiefornia for 50 years but from what I understand they do a sniff test as part of their smog check. As well as being real a holes about aftermarket parts. I'd check on what it is exactly that you need to pass the smog check, you might be regulated to factory OEM catts.

2008 tacoma 255,000 miles, I just had a valve job done and now I'm throwing a 420 code
Likely Causes For P0420 Trouble Code In A Toyota

A failed catalytic converter. Other less likely problems: an issue with the coolant temperature sensor, an exhaust manifold leak, a spark timing issue, leaking fuel injectors, misfires, or fuel oil contamination.

I put Seafoam in the tank today but it started running bad, losing power on acceleration, it idles very smooth. When I'm parked if i rev the throttle I hear a bunch of clattering from the Cat. I just removed the cat and a bunch of stuff fell out, kind of a ceramic looking material, couple questions is the cat shot? And any ideas on a new cat that can be shipped to California that won't break the bank?
Not sure if you know the “Right Person” but years ago on another truck I had, I paid a guy at a muffler shop $100.00 to hollow out my cat and put it back in with no guts inside it. He did what I asked, I paid him.. I went to do a smog check a few months later scared to death Id fail but I passed with flying colors every year afterwards soooo.. if you know someone or can find someone than “Cash Talks”.

I've had a case where it all depends who's doing those emission tests that day. I had one of my employee's take our chevy van in for a test, and it failed. Heard a case where you dump in a bottle of dry gas, and fill the tank full, you will pass any emission test. Well it worked. Our guy went through the test a couple hours later, and passed. Even the emission tech if you can call them that told our guy ''you sure have a sweet running truck.'' We got a laugh at that one.
On other cases with new vehicles, its a joke, its all about this emission program as another tax. I've never had a 2 year old vehicle ever fail an emission test.

Back