Denso or NGK... Which spark plug???

BigMau

Well... It will be soon time to replace my spark plugs in my 2009 Tacoma 4x4 2.7l 4 cyl. I'm currently have stock Denso plugs... do the NGKs offer the same quality /performance?? I'm thinking of just sticking to the OEM denso plugs??

Yeah.. Denso is OEM and is slightly cheaper. The owners manual recommends both brands??

I put NGK Iridium plugs in mine. I believe the cost was around $40-50 for 6. The gaps were perfect right out of the box. Do the service yourself and save serious money. It takes less than two hours and a few beers. Toyota stealerships want like $250 for the service and only a pinch less if you supply your own plugs...

I have the 2.7 l 4 cyl..... The owners manual says Iridium plugs only. The last time (did them myself) Denso plugs were installed.... Both the NGK and Denso look the same??? So I guess it depends which ones I can get on sale??? I have no problem with the stock Denso plugs.

Yes NapalmTRD.... It was a two beer job max!!!

Aside from cost, it just boils down to brand preference... But go with NGK

Last edited:
NGK Plugs have been best for all foreign and Asian Engines since the 1960s and longer ! #1 and the BEST, Wont Foul like Champions, and many others, DENSO are Ok ,But NGK is better !

Lots of love here for NGK plugs!!! Pink Taco was "spot on" with helping me with my front shock replacement!!! Many thanks!!

No pics... It was a rusty bolt and nut fest... due to nasty PA winters. However, The advise helped and saved me some loot$$$
next project will be AC.... I think my compressor is shot:(

Had the NGK and had no complaints though didn't see a performance difference. Currently have Denso and so far they are good.

Had the NGK and had no complaints though didn't see a performance difference. Currently have Denso and so far they are good.
Spark plugs do not in any way provide any performance gains. Although if you haven't changed your plug since you've got your truck you'll see a difference.

I am a former Toyota tech that has worked on a lot of 2.7 motors. When it comes to your Tacoma here is the mechanics rule of plugs. If Toyota is payin then Denso is stayin, If the customer has to pay then NGK will save the day. That means that they are the same quality plug but they charge more mark up for NGK.

Back