Engine stumbles/hunts getting on the freeway, shift delay reverse to drive

frankiep

We bought 2 ,2016 Tacoma double Cab TRD's. A TRD Off Road and a TRD Sport, (one in November 2015, one in January 2016) Both of them have a stumble, miss, lack of power getting on the freeway until you get into the throttle enough for the truck to take off. At that point the guy next to you thinks you are trying to race him on the on ramp. LOVELY!! There are 3 distinct power loss areas while accelerating, and using the ECT power changes it a little bit but does not make it go away. The engine will stumble and miss with a complete lack of power until it leaves that RPM range. We have a neighbor that has a 2016 Tacoma with exactly the same problems.
Also both trucks will shift into neutral when going from reverse into drive. They shift to drive for a half second, shift out of drive, and then back into drive after a full second sometimes a second and a half delay. One truck harsh down shifts while coming to a stop and then will down shift again after it is stopped.
I have 170000 miles on a 2006 Tacoma double cab TRD Prerunner and it has down shifted like that its entire life with no ill effects. It drives and runs beautifully still so we are not as concerned with that. It may be normal for these transmissions to shift like that. The lack of power/engine miss/engine stumble is not acceptable though. If these were not a new trucks we would guess the throttle position sensor was bad or the the mass air flow sensor has a problem. We have diagnosed and repaired drive ability for many years. It does not feel like a trans problem as it seems everyone else wants to point at. Too much shifting, down shifting, and shifting around is all part of the new drive ability strategy, to keep the engine in the proper power range, thus obtaining the most power for the least fuel. That all makes sense.
We had a chance to drive a Press Vehicle Tacoma, direct from the factory, and it had none of these problems and drove beautifully. We have had both trucks into the dealer once already for the drive ability problems. They have no idea what the problem is and have started cases on both. We know that there is a problem and hope that Toyota has not tied their hands with the EPA emissions statements they have made. Has anyone else come up with a solution?

My 2016 Tacoma double cab SR5 has all the same issues. Also when you are going slowly and forward or reverse without applying the Excelerator The engine revs up slightly and lunges for no reason? Does this happen with yours? I am wondering if it could be due to low transmission fluid however there is no way that I can figure out how to check it

I have experienced all of the same frankiep and scotte. Identical experiences. And yes, people think I am messing with them when I have to "get into it".

My 2016 Tacoma double cab SR5 has all the same issues. Also when you are going slowly and forward or reverse without applying the Excelerator The engine revs up slightly and lunges for no reason? Does this happen with yours? I am wondering if it could be due to low transmission fluid however there is no way that I can figure out how to check it
One of our lunges forward and the other acts like it is an engine miss, with a stumble in the middle of the event. When they started the case for each of our trucks they checked the trans fluid level. Wellllll, they say they did check it.!!!!!, Like you, we have no way to check for ourselves. Very frustrating. Mine was very different when i got it back, and the other was almost the same.

Backing into my garage, I let it run at just idle as I get close to the back wall. Often the engine will give a surge and I have to keep it from lunging into the wall. Doesn't happen all the time - it is sporadic.

I went from a v-8 performance lifted 06 4 runner and did notice my 16 taco sport first a little sluggish at first but I expected this and overall am very happy with how quick and and more room inside and how this feels and looks awesome except the grill but it won't be long before the pro grill will be available lol it's a v6 and a welcome the better then 10 ish mpg I was getting ...

Same lunge in fwd and rev when engine is warming up. Gets your attention !!!

Back