Is the 2023 undercoated?

JDubTaco

Just bought my 2023 TRD Off-road last week. It seems to be at least painted black underneath. Does anyone know if it is an actual undercoat or should I have it undercoated? Every time I’ve had a truck undercoated in the past, it was a fairly thick coating.

Yep, just black chassis paint. They do use some crc type rust inhibitor protection on parts of the inner boxed frame sections. While the chassis is clean, and new best time to coat the chassis asap with something if in an area where you have lots of salt.

Yep, just black chassis paint. They do use some crc type rust inhibitor protection on parts of the inner boxed frame sections. While the chassis is clean, and new best time to coat the chassis asap with something if in an area where you have lots of salt.
Well my main reason for getting this truck for for driving on the beach in NE North Carolina. But after researching undercoating it sounds like typical undercoat isn’t a great idea as it can create rust issues. Seems as if spraying on cosmoline myself may be the best route. Unless washing underneath after each trip would be good enough

Washing might be best where your are. It's the salt that's a killer. If you encounter salt daily often, you'd better come up with an idea that's better than washing. Washing tends to put the water where it shouldn't stay unless it can be quickly dried out. Worst stuff to undercoat these trucks is with those rubberized coatings...bad. You want an undercoat that's self healing, which many are...its just a matter how long one will last before washing away.

Last edited:

i just heard from a local used lot i was checking into
that NOWDAYS if you undercoat your vehicle with anything the Manufacturer will VOID any corrosion perforaction warrantied on the
frame/unibody

because its electro-static charged plated or something of that sorts

i just heard from a local used lot i was checking into
that NOWDAYS if you undercoat your vehicle with anything the Manufacturer will VOID any corrosion perforaction warrantied on the
frame/unibody

because its electro-static charged plated or something of that sorts
I have no clue about this electrostatic plating....at least on these tacomas. Toyota may likely void frames that were undercoated with certain coatings like these hard rubberize ones. They can chip, then trap salt, and water underneath that causes this rusting, and eventually perforation.

Painted frame. My '23 has 300 miles on it. So the frame is still spotless. Going up on the lift for a Cosmoline coat in the next few weekends. Not letting the Midwest salt get to it.

So far after more than 3 years the cosmoline is holding up great on my 2020. Just minor touchups are needed in the high abrasion wheel well areas.

So far after more than 3 years the cosmoline is holding up great on my 2020. Just minor touchups are needed in the high abrasion wheel well areas.
Great to hear! I figured every year I'll toss it up on the lift and touch it up as needed. I know its some nasty stuff to apply, but has the longevity compared to the off the shelf stuff.

As far as this rp-342 cosmoline, it's not so bad to apply, you just need to cover yourself up well, and spray the chassis thoroughly with 2 coats, allowing it to dry between coats. This stuff holds up way better than fluid flim, or other lanolin based rust inhibitors that you have to do completely over every year.....I've been that route on my tundra.

As far as this rp-342 cosmoline, it's not so bad to apply, you just need to cover yourself up well, and spray the chassis thoroughly with 2 coats, allowing it to dry between coats. This stuff holds up way better than fluid flim, or other lanolin based rust inhibitors that you have to do completely over every year.....I've been that route on my tundra.
Do you spray that on brake and fuel lines?

Back