Locking tailgate

TacoTruck2019

Has anyone noticed their tailgate not unlocking at the same time their doors do? Is there such a thing as it getting out of sequence with the door locks? Sometimes I will have to unlock mine with the key, other times it will unlock with the remote and the doors like it has always done previously.

Since all of the locking devices are addons "at the port" or the dealer remember you aren't dealing with a "factory installed part". Because of this the tailgate lock cycles every time you unlock the doors. That puts a lot of stress on the solenoid. Sometimes some types of solenoids get sticky and then get out of sequence.

The solution is to disconnect the wiring at a convenient plug (some brands have one outside the tailgate itself). Cycle the doors until they coincide with the tailgate lock position then reconnect the plug. If it happens frequently, make sure that the linkage is moving freely and if so just replace the solenoid.

I'm thinking it's in the linkage because you can hear the solenoid activate, it's always been really loud. It's either that or it's been self induced by me in these cold mornings we've been having. I'll start my truck in the morning to defrost a bit and use 2nd key to lock the doors while it's running. To unlock the doors with the key you have to turn twice to unlock more than the driver's door. I know sometimes I've just turned once and sometimes twice.

Did mine myself,,installed a Pop &Lock,wired it to the passenger door relay . Press the Remote 1x,,only driver door unlocks,,,,press it 2x,,,all doors and tailgate unlock.
3 Years,, no issues,,even when it’s been 5-10 degrees outside

Took the cover off the tailgate today to see what I could see. Everything was intact and upon cycling the lock it did just as it was doing, it would always lock but only sometimes unlock. I sprayed some dry lube on the slide bar that kicks the locking mechanism one way or the other and everything seems to be working fine now. We'll see how long it lasts. I didn't want to use grease and gum it up, so that was why I used the dry lube.

Back