Mods and TSS Issues

jjsinaz

So how many of you have become frustrated with your TSS after making certain mods? My frustrations started after I installed a aftermarket Pro style grille and the PCS Off light kept coming on. I fixed that issue by shaving some of the plastic off of the garnish that came with the grill (must have been too thick). The second frustration came today when I was having my windshield replaced. They are supposed to have to recalibrate the TSS after a windshield replacement but the glass shop said they couldn't do it because of my wheels/tires/lift combo. Said I'd have to take it to a dealer. So far I don't seem to have any issues with the TSS and I'm hesitant to take it to a dealer unless I do.
Have any of you had similar experiences involving Lifts and other mods and if so can dealers do a recalibration so that the TSS is working properly with the mods? The glass shop said the dealer would be able to do the recalibration and bill it to my insurance as part of the windshield replacement, but my concern is can they actually recalibrate the system with the different grille, garnish lift and wheels/tires, or do they just disable the TSS in software and make you sign a waiver accepting that as the fix?
It's frustrating to me to have to deal with this BS after spending $$$ for the truck and more $$$ to make it the way I want it and then be told "Sorry but we can't make this work for you since you've modified the vehicle"

About the only way you can get a firm answer is to ask the dealer. Then make a decision.

This is part of the agony with vehicle modification.
Gotta pay to play.

FWIW, the glass shop more than likely know what they are talking about................

I found a post on the "other" forum where a guy said that a tech at his dealer told him that as long as they didn't disconnect the camera when they replaced the windshield you don't need to re-calibrate it. I saw the camera dangling from the wires whenever they had my windshield out so I am going by the assumptions that they never disconnected it. Everything seems to work as it is supposed to and I am not getting any warnings/errors, so I'm calling it good.
i have no clue what TSS even is
Be glad you don't Jay! :(

No that's TPMS. TSS stands for Toyota Safety Sense. It has a camera behind the rearview mirrir and a radar sensor in the grille. It uses for the lane departure alert and adaptive cruise control and collision avoidance.

IMHO, TSS is ok but not worth the trouble.

I had a rental car with the lane departure feature.

I came into a new section of road surface that had not been painted yet (no stripes). The Lane Departure system began to wrestle the with me over the steering wheel. It was totally useless in that situation., so glad I was paying attention to driving and not fiddling with something.

After experiencing enough of that nanny bs in my truck, my mission was on...desensitize, or turnoff.

The Taco does not have the steering assist, so it does not make any steering corrections on it's own. I also once had a rental car with that feature and I didn't care for it. Never gave a thought to how it would react on a road with fresh pavement and no lines. Interesting...

I typically have the LDA turned off. It gets annoying. Also you can disable the radar cruise function if you don't like that. You just hold the on/off button on the cruise stem in for about 3 seconds and it puts it in to "Constant Speed Mode", which works like regular cruise control.

My Wife's Tuscon has all the nanny systems. First thing I do when I get in is turn them all off. If not, I'm always in a battle with the car as to who can stay between the lines better, me or the car.

Back