? needing new leaf springs...

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 348k on the 0D0
i noticed yesterday that the truck has a bit of a frown going on with 140 pounds of sand weighing it down back there
this is Probably NOT normal ??

... will try to get a pic for evaluation and go from there
they are frowning :(

Last edited:
Unload the truck. Take measurements to determine the height at the shackles and at the axle.

Facts can easily dispel your beliefs.

these do look rather sharp

3a68bf56-58de-4b99-b3f3-a1d72306886a-jpg.5299022

those did not work for Taco Johns truck
all kinds of issues, its even loaded with 400 pounds of sand in the back

Screenshot_20230120-154350_Gallery.jpg

Ok wow now I have not a clue to what is going on back there under
Never had that shocksense and feeling of unstable wavy rocking
Going over the most nasty of seriously buckled highway pavement
Oh yikes :oops:

Who does one trust to know what heck is going on and needed fix
Do I have too much bagged sand back there weigh it down
:confused:

How much weight are you carrying? I'm pretty sure you're not close the cargo capacity of the truck. My guess is you have less than 200 lbs in the bed.

A wavy, bouncy feeling is likely from worn out shocks. How many miles on them shocks? General rule of thumb is 50,000 miles to replace.

The set on my truck were installed at 75,000 miles. I'm knocking on the door of 125,000 miles, already beginning to feel some extra bounce. So, setting up the budget for a set of shocks for the Tacoma. Probably a task this summer.

Just replaced the set on our '02 Trailblazer. Embarrassed to say, those were OEM shocks with 130,000 miles...........they were long past due. Absolutely, zero rebound when compressed by hand and little resistance when compressing by hand. But they didn't leak.......

The kyb rear shocks were still the originals on my 2001 tundra. They had nearly 300k miles on them. I don't think the new owner ever replaced them yet. I had to replace the front struts around 150k miles after the struts lower rubber mounting bushings were gone, and it was metal to metal. As far the shocks gm uses...their junk, at 60k miles their toast.

2 bags of 70 pounds each
When I stopped to juice up the taco I checked and both bags had slid forward nearly a foot!

Maybe that is the deal of what was going on back there.
IDK :oops:

The kyb rear shocks were still the originals on my 2001 tundra. They had nearly 300k miles on them. I don't think the new owner ever replaced them yet. I had to replace the front struts around 150k miles after the struts lower rubber mounting bushings were gone, and it was metal to metal. As far the shocks gm uses...their junk, at 60k miles their toast.
That is some good mileage there

I bet there is less than or close to 20k miles on the KYB rear shocks

2 bags of 70 pounds each
When I stopped to juice up the taco I checked and both bags had slid forward nearly a foot!

Maybe that is the deal of what was going on back there.
IDK :oops:
That is one of the many problems with sand bags. They move around.

Get them a little wet, they'll freeze into 70 lb blocks for demolition......one quick stop...BANG.... cave in on the front of the bed......

i do NOT wish for any 2" lift

or these for stage 3 with some resevoir extra damping?

863c12678b0ce104f40a1e14eac3fed4_1024x1024.jpg

1963$ sale

2452$ is reg wow

OVERVIEW​

ICON Vehicle Dynamics Toyota Tacoma suspension systems are designed with maximum performance and the serious driver in mind. ICON engineers’ primary focus is to increase wheel travel and damping ability, which translates into outstanding vehicle control and ride quality both on and off-road. The Stage 3 system includes vehicle-specific tuned 2.5” coilover shocks featuring a remote reservoir for exceptional cooling properties and ICON-engineered Eibach coil springs for superior vehicle “feel” through the range of travel. These coilovers are also height adjustable from 0-3” allowing the use of larger, more aggressive wheel and tire combinations. ICON 2.0 Aluminum Series remote reservoir rear shocks utilize a vehicle-specific valving that balances the performance of the truck from front to rear. The ICON Vehicle Dynamics 96-04 Toyota Tacoma 4WD/PreRunner Stage 3 suspension system is an excellent choice for those drivers looking to enhance the capabilities of their pickup on the road as well as in the dirt.

FEATURES & BENEFITS​

• Increased wheel travel and ride quality over stock with no change in towing capacity
  • Vehicle specific tuned front and rear shocks for superior shock damping and control
  • Adjustable remote reservoir coilovers from 0-3" of lift height
  • 6061 Aircraft grade aluminum CNC machined components
  • Corrosion resistant CAD plated coilover shock body with 7/8" hardened chrome shaft
  • FK rod end bearings for extended longevity and minimal deflection
  • 2.0 aluminum body rear remote reservoir shock with 5/8" polished chrome plated steel shaft
  • 100% Bolt-on system - no drilling, cutting, or welding necessary for install

Back