oil pan leaking??

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 346k on the 0D0
the yota tech marked my rig down as having an oil pan leak from this pic taken

IDK... i do spot a pink coolant leak at that lower radiator hose area clamp ... Do U C it?

oil pan leak is a thing on gen1 3.4, a guy with a '95.5 in NY had to have his pan resealed a few years ago i recall... he also had a rusted pan iirc

oil pan LEAK or just CF RC3K spray on frame.jpg

Last edited:
Don't look like much of a leak to me. How much oil do you add between changes???

Suggest tightening the oil pan bolts a little and clean the area. Monitor.

The age and mileage of your truck, it would be no surprise if some of the pan bolts are a little under torque. Bear in mind, these are small bolts whose only job is to compress a gasket, they are not structural. My point is don't go gorilla on the bolts. Probably only need a firm wrist tight.

My definition of "wrist tight" is to grab the head of the ratchet. Turn with one hand using wrist muscles. Don't use the whole arm, just wrist. These bolts are likely in the In-lb torque range.

Remember, mechanics are always on the lookout for potential up sell.

i add zero oil... i check it often after every new tank of taco juice
level is always near the full on the check stick, even after 5500 miles

i am going to clean the area when the weather warms enough to squirm under and remove that heavy skid
there is a bunch of dirt buildup it appears

My guess is this is just years of gasket seep mixed in with road grime to appear like a problem.

i don't know where they see a problem at?

the plastic wiring thing directly below the oil pan bolts is clean and dry looking to me
just some dirt road grime onit

does anybody see the pinkish stuff at the lower radiator hose?
i keep checking the expansion bottle and its at an appropriate level

Yeah, i see it. Doesn't look serious. Hose clamp might be allowing the hose connection to weep a little.
If it's anything like the top hose was when it leaked like a drippy faucet there is a fine layer of built up crud under that needs to be scraped. I did that to the top scraped carefully the aluminum put a new hose on reused clamps and has been leakfree for 3+ years

It was one of my first diy jobs I did lol
Dealer wanted 280$ to fix but I was able to get it all taken care of once the engine cooled down
They probably wanted to upcharge an hour for the cool down time idk

Last edited:
But now I wouldn't think the lower hose is under pressure like the top one is or is it?

The entire system in pressurized. Yes, the lower hose has the same pressure as the top hose.

Its a fundamental law of fluids.

The lower hose is not as hot as the upper hose is?
I've never touched it to verify lol

The lower hose is not as hot as the upper hose is?
I've never touched it to verify lol

I wouldn't expect it to be more than about 20-30 F cooler than the top hose. IIRC, the thermostat opens around 190F, so the lower hose is probably around 160F.

Don't work on it when the engine is hot. If you can't hold your hand on the hose, then its too hot.

i will be changing that lower hose and cleaning underneath on the next radiator drain and fill and new pink coolant, probably in the late spring
trying to get into at halfway between 'scheduled' water pump replacement
but it can always be done sooner than that when i have reason to take all that off to do maintenace cleaning in that front area

If it's anything like the top hose was when it leaked like a drippy faucet there is a fine layer of built up crud under that needs to be scraped. I did that to the top scraped carefully the aluminum put a new hose on reused clamps and has been leakfree for 3+ years

It was one of my first diy jobs I did lol
Dealer wanted 280$ to fix but I was able to get it all taken care of once the engine cooled down
They probably wanted to upcharge an hour for the cool down time idk
I'm convinced you need a new dealer.

i've got 3 local to choose from LOL
used to have 4 in the golden olden days

I'm convinced you need a new dealer.
ya i would assume that the trained techs there would know that over a long period of time the cooling system under pressure will seep little bits of coolant between the hose and clamp and dry crusty
rinse and repeat this cycle over decades and 100s of thousand of miles and the buildup will have grown big enough underneath that hose that the coolant under pressure will find the channel of least resistance and start leaking underneath the constant tension hose clamp. this is with the condition that the hose has NOT ever been removed/replaced

so it befuddles i that when i decided to treat the taco to a complete coolant exchange (clean it ALL out) after 22 years that they failed to remove the hoses and clean underneath and or recommend new hoses altogether

a competent 'mechanic' that is more than just a parts changer would know this or so i would think
i was headed out-of-town that day i checked under the hood at the gas station and saw it leaking on the upper, leaking quite a bit, pink stuff blowing everywhere
and had to postpone activities until a new hose ordered on discount came delivered a week later from camelBack Toyota in AZ

Back