Question about about the clutch

Rjhall4191

I bought my Tacoma about a week ago, and it's a manual transmission, with the "no clutch start" switch. I've used it a few times, but try to stick with the traditional press in the clutch method. As of yesterday, it seems like I'm having to press the clutch in further than normal. It's almost like I'm trying to press it through the floor board in order to start up the truck. Is this something that needs to be looked into or is this normal? This is the first Tacoma I've owned, so I'm very unfamiliar with them.

I've got a '06 4.0 V6 4x4 6 speed and yep I have to go to the floor with it to start. So it's normal. I've used the switch a few times as well. I've got cruise control which surprised me to see on a stick. But tried it the other day on the highway works great!

Also which tranny do you have? It's taken me a while to get use to the extra 2 gears. I'm use to a 4-speed. A lot of times I find myself in 5th on the highway. That is until I see my RPM's at about 2500 at 60MPH. That's when I remember 6th gear. Sure is fun to be driving a manual again been about 20 years. :thumbsup:

I've got a '06 4.0 V6 4x4 6 speed and yep I have to go to the floor with it to start. So it's normal. I've used the switch a few times as well. I've got cruise control which surprised me to see on a stick. But tried it the other day on the highway works great!

Also which tranny do you have? It's taken me a while to get use to the extra 2 gears. I'm use to a 4-speed. A lot of times I find myself in 5th on the highway. That is until I see my RPM's at about 2500 at 60MPH. That's when I remember 6th gear. Sure is fun to be driving a manual again been about 20 years. :thumbsup:
Why would it surprise you to see cruise control on a manual transmission?

How long do these. Toyota clutches last?
I've heard about 250k miles but I've done wheeled past that

I had an old Celica in HS that needed a new clutch a year after I got it from some woman that must've rode that pedal but hard!

Last edited:
I bought my Tacoma about a week ago, and it's a manual transmission, with the "no clutch start" switch. I've used it a few times, but try to stick with the traditional press in the clutch method. As of yesterday, it seems like I'm having to press the clutch in further than normal. It's almost like I'm trying to press it through the floor board in order to start up the truck. Is this something that needs to be looked into or is this normal? This is the first Tacoma I've owned, so I'm very unfamiliar with them.

If you look up at the top of the clutch pedal, the switch is adjustable.

Depends which clutch they gave you.
LUK: About 15,000 km.
AISIN: I don't know, I've got 300,000 (hard) km and counting. Snow plowing, heavy towing, etc.
I reckon the bearing one other both is going to freeze up onit somewhere nowhere before I notice any slipping going uphill

Read a report on an old gen1 taco recently that claims 330k miles still going!

Back