? rear differential housing developing a weep or just cosmoline mixed wit sheep fat?

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 351k on the 0D0
Spotted this recently ...
finally had a decent
opportunity to check the diff gear oil level
level is fine and gear oil looks clean and not black! Such as in these pictorials
I grabbed a finger of black slime and smelt it did not have the nasty gear oil odor

IMG_20240418_162206_870.jpgIMG_20240418_162158_745.jpgIMG_20240418_162151_021.jpgIMG_20240418_162145_026.jpgIMG_20240418_162122_012.jpgIMG_20240418_162113_818.jpgopportunity to check the diff gear oil level
level is fine and gear oil looks clean and not black! Such as in these pictorials
I grabbed a finger of black slime and smelt it did not have the nasty gear oil odor

Last edited:
I did spray the black cosmoline product on the diff housing before the winter
And also leftover black woolWax residue from a couple winters ago

Somewhere theres a differential under all that crap.

backstory...
project: deWeathering
most of it was sanded blasted to the silver metal about 5 years ago
then primered with eastWood paint
then the black WoolWax
and now the black Cosmoline which must heat up to liquidy and the wind tunnel under the truck blows it upward?
that is whut i am under the assumption of happening back there deep underneath

There are plentiful pics out there of gen1 taco diff covers rotting and leaking gear oil bad

I'm sure there are examples of any situation.

The reality is those examples are most often the extremes. To use statistics, beyond the +/- 3 sigma out in the tails of distribution.....or in the 0.1% of the population of owners.

Delete those that don't live the salt life and the number might increase exponentially

I can tell you there was a good percentage of gen1, and 2 taco frame's that rotted out.
Most of those trucks are already dead in the boneyard.

Last edited:
Delete those that don't live the salt life and the number might increase exponentially
That is a prime way to skew the data and shade the results to support your theory. You must be running for office this November.

Back