spark plugs... how long do you let them go for

JayQQ97

MW surVivor ... clutched. 348k on the 0D0
is there a good interval to get them refreshed with new ones?

i know there are 2 types of plugs and that's about all i know off-hand

I change the cheapie's at 30k miles. Different deal with the more expensive iridium type in these newer trucks...manual says to replace them at 60k miles.

I change the cheapie's at 30k miles. Different deal with the more expensive iridium type in these newer trucks...manual says to replace them at 60k miles.
i may have the more pricey types i will have to check but i am pushing them way past 60k now almost 77k on them. i sense no issues yet, going to get them replaced in December

Check your Owner's Manual. I know the Gen 2 with the 4.0L (1GR-FE engine) the change interval of the spark plugs is 30k miles.

Think of this.....spark plugs are pretty cheap. Each plug will fire about 1,000,000 times in 1000 miles. Really no strong reason to run them long.

did you hear the price of the oem Gen3 V6 plugs versus Gen1 V6 plugs
wow! o_O

FWIW. I'm not convinced these need the high $$ iridium plugs. The Owner's Manual will have specs on the needed plugs.

The basic copper based Denso at about $5/ea every 30K is pretty cheap. Shoot, a single oil change is more expensive. I do oil change every 5K, the spend is 6X the spend on plugs.. Plugs cost $0.001/mile.

A spark from any plug will ignite the fuel/air mix in the cylinder. Extra power/performance doesn't come from the plug.

Buy the cheap ones and change on the interval. You won't go wrong and probably save $$ in the long haul.

When i had my v8 tundra, only used cheap $1.50 ngk plugs. Changed them every 30k miles, never any issue.

FWIW. I'm not convinced these need the high $$ iridium plugs. The Owner's Manual will have specs on the needed plugs.

The basic copper based Denso at about $5/ea every 30K is pretty cheap. Shoot, a single oil change is more expensive. I do oil change every 5K, the spend is 6X the spend on plugs.. Plugs cost $0.001/mile.

A spark from any plug will ignite the fuel/air mix in the cylinder. Extra power/performance doesn't come from the plug.

Buy the cheap ones and change on the interval. You won't go wrong and probably save $$ in the long haul.
Only thing i could think of for these higher cost iridium plugs is they might be some sort of a dual heat range plug that needs to be compatible with these engines, otherwise I'm with you.

Sorry. The heat range is determined by the insulator material and the length.

Not sure if a plug can be made to handle multiple heat ranges.

The advantage is supposedly.....longer life. Although, if you run the $/mile....the answer may discredit the claims.

Sorry. The heat range is determined by the insulator material and the length.

Not sure if a plug can be made to handle multiple heat ranges.

The advantage is supposedly.....longer life. Although, if you run the $/mile....the answer may discredit the claims.
The ones my snowmobile uses are a dual heat range type. They do have a copper core.

I did my 3rd gen after 100,000 miles with stock Toyota plugs AND stock Toyota coils.

can you believe i have 25.5 years on this rig and NO codes ever triggered
maybe that CEL light is burnt LOL
I stuck black electrical tape over my engine check light when the cats failed in the tundra. Got sick of seeing that yellow/orange dash led staring me in the face every time i drove that truck.

Last edited:
Back