Squirrel (Rodent) Damage

That plug on my truck is located right in front of the shifter rod toward the dash. Thats why I'm not sure what's under it. Nothing even budged when I tried to pry it with a screwdriver.

That plug on my truck is located right in front of the shifter rod toward the dash. Thats why I'm not sure what's under it. Nothing even budged when I tried to pry it with a screwdriver.
Seems each gen will have a different design. The new '24 is different in about everything.

New 24 has areas that look copied from a chevy colorado...quite a bit different from the usual tacoma image.

My local independent auto repair shop made the repair. They only charged 2 hr. labor, $140. I had checked to see if my comprehensive insurance coverage with State Farm would cover it and they said it would, but the deductible was $500 so no claim was filed.View attachment 43790
You should check into the zero deductible that State Farm offers. For me it wasn’t much more than the five hundred deductible.

Here's a source of heat-tolerant foil tape I used to hopefully prevent further rodent damage to the wiring harness under the hood. At only $6, it could save you much more in squirrel damage.

You need to apply some rodent repellent juice to that area. I found it works well for a few weeks then needs to be reapplied.

You need to apply some rodent repellent juice to that area. I found it works well for a few weeks then needs to be reapplied.
I've tried the peppermint oil & water solution at the acreage with very mixed results. For mice, I've had better results with a bucket of water and peanut butter for bait. The rodents always seem to come back, and never give up munching on about anything when it's really cold.

Thats why you can't let your guard down. It's a regular job here catching mice....you seem to eliminate them for a couple weeks with traps, than a new batch arrives. I've heard some of those more costly electronic devices work well to. Ones I tried didn't. Even tried putting dryer sheets around to repel mice. They just chewed them up, and lined their nest with tiny pieces of them. Tried peppermint oil to with mixed results. I made a concoction of habanero pepper, and water in my blender that I sprayed the garage floor around my snowmobile. It worked good for a week, or two, than the mice came back. Only effective way to rid them is to keep killing the little bastards.

If you know where the little buggers are getting in, filling the hole up with steel wool will stop them. Of course this doesn’t work keeping them out of your engine bay, but it does in your house or trailer.

Just put some sticky glue traps all the time all over everywhere
That is how I caught that critter in my rigs engine air filter cleaner box
It did not end well for that buggard
I sat and watched the flies have a feast one hot humid summer day
Yes, I have pictures of the gore

If you know where the little buggers are getting in, filling the hole up with steel wool will stop them. Of course this doesn’t work keeping them out of your engine bay, but it does in your house or trailer.
My wife and I were talking about this very subject the other day and she said teh exact same thing.

Heck, it's not an issue of one, or two of those little bastards here...it's an invasion. I catch 5-7 every morning when checking the traps. When summer, and fall are here, I battle the chipmunks with bigger rat traps. They don't fall that easy for the walk the plank water bucket trick either.
It doesn't take much of a hole for these mice to squeeze through, and setup shop.

Heck, it's not an issue of one, or two of those little bastards here...it's an invasion. I catch 5-7 every morning when checking the traps. When summer, and fall are here, I battle the chipmunks with bigger rat traps. They don't fall that easy for the walk the plank water bucket trick either.
It doesn't take much of a hole for these mice to squeeze through, and setup shop.
Maybe you could adopt a feral cat or two to help with pest control.

We had several feral cats at one time, but the bird lady next had the towns animal control officer round them all up, claiming those cats were killing all her birds. I never had a mouse, or chipmunk issue when we fed those cats.

Back