Steering Dead Zone

Hooper

I recently did the shocks on my truck and had it aligned, it tracks straight but has a bit of a dead zone in the center and feels a little unresponsive/drifts with the road crown. Any pointers on what I can adjust or settings I can tell the shop? Shocks are trd pro fox.

Was the problem there before replacing the shocks, and alignment? If so, it's likely something else. New shocks shouldn't cause this. A bad alignment, or worn front end parts will.

I'm thinking alignment just wondering what I should tell them. It tracks straight as an arrow just "feels" a little dead in the steering.

Could easily be mechanical.

Worn steering components or linkages or bushings or ball joints. Low power steering fluid, weak power steering pump,

Suggest to have the alignment shop inspect the front end suspension BEFORE the alignment. They may have a charge for the inspection.

What is the truck's mileage? Maintenance history? Modifications?

It's a stock 2016 only modification would be the trd pro shocks 80k miles. I had it up on a rack several months ago and they said everything looked good, also I am religious with maintenance zerks all that crap.

Today I sat it in a parking lot and measured everything. When the steering wheel is vertical it looks like the passenger front is toed out to the right.

You probably shouldn't use that as an indicator. Keep in mind, when corning, every wheel follows a different arc.

Only reliable way to check alignment is on an alignment machine.

The problem could be in the power steering gear box.

Alignment fixed the drifting and the steering wheel vibration however it still has some vibration maybe tires or u joints/diff in the rear.

OK front end vibration came back, took it back in and made them rotate and road force balance the tires with them set at 30psi now the vibration is in the rear lol. I am numbering the tires and rotating them around because it seems like a bad tire or wheel.

Finally got it to a decent shop and spent a lot of time looking at it.

Bad ball joint (front drivers side)
Power steering leak
Bad ujoint on driveshaft
Could use a tuneup (new plugs, belt)
One wheel was grossly out of balance
One tire cupped to **** because of ball joint
Rear diff may be going out for the second time
Exhaust leak

80k miles, they don't make em like they used to I guess

Finally got it to a decent shop and spent a lot of time looking at it.

Bad ball joint (front drivers side)
Power steering leak
Bad ujoint on driveshaft
Could use a tuneup (new plugs, belt)
One wheel was grossly out of balance
One tire cupped to **** because of ball joint
Rear diff may be going out for the second time
Exhaust leak

80k miles, they don't make em like they used to I guess
Glad you found the causes. Too bad its multiples.

Allow me to offer a couple of suggestions.
Replace all the ball joints. They have all seen the same road conditions.
Replace all the U-joints. Same reason as the ball joints.

Do the work right, one time.....or plan on doing it again

Glad you found the causes. Too bad its multiples.

Allow me to offer a couple of suggestions.
Replace all the ball joints. They have all seen the same road conditions.
Replace all the U-joints. Same reason as the ball joints.

Do the work right, one time.....or plan on doing it again

That's my plan if I keep it, get moog front end parts and stuff. I've owned it and done by the book maintenance since the 36k mark figured it would hold up better than this. Windshield seal is going too. It's disappointing tbh.

Back