What lift should I get

TacoMax23

Hi everyone, new to the forum here. I just bought a 2023 Tacoma trd-off road and have some things in mind that I want to do. I definitely want to run 33's but that's probably it (don' need to get crazy with 35s or 37s) and therefore I was wondering what you all would recommend lifting the truck in order to fit the bigger tires and avoid rubbing during turns and articulation. Also if I were to run 33's and purchase new wheels (probably wanting to get some methods) would I need to run any offset spacing on those wheels? Any advice would be great thanks!

Unless you have aspirations using the truck mostly off-road I'd stay away from lifting these trucks more than a 2'', and installing larger tires like that vs stock. Both kill performance, and fuel economy not to mention can create other issues that these trucks were not designed for.

Why do you want a lift and big tires?

If its for looks or bro points.......save your coin. These modifications can create additional problems.

If you need this for business or work purposes, then you may have the wrong vehicle.

The modifications may void your new vehicle warranty.

Also consider, the additional needs. Lift does not increase cleaance for turning the tires. This needs to be handled with wheel offset or spacers. Either can impact the geometry of the suspension. Lift and tires in the rear can alter driveline angles leading to U-joint problems.

The larger tires will change the overall gear ratio of the drivetrain. This is experienced as loss of power, poor acceleration, increased fuel consumption.

FWIW, these trucks are quite capable to off-road or mall crawl right off the showroom floor.

In the end, it is your choice. Just be aware of the can of worms you are opening.

Thanks for the advice. I am mainly wanting to modify the truck for personal off-road/ overlanding use. I am a big skier and hiker so I like to be able to go into the mountains comfortably as well as use the truck to off road to cool camping spots and things of that sort. I don't need a rock crawler but from my initial perspective I would like some more clearance as well as bigger tires. I understand I will lose fuel efficiency which isn't too big of a concern to me but just wanted to make sure I wouldn't need to re-gear or anything major for just a 2" lift and 33s.

Thanks for the advice. I am mainly wanting to modify the truck for personal off-road/ overlanding use. I am a big skier and hiker so I like to be able to go into the mountains comfortably as well as use the truck to off road to cool camping spots and things of that sort. I don't need a rock crawler but from my initial perspective I would like some more clearance as well as bigger tires. I understand I will lose fuel efficiency which isn't too big of a concern to me but just wanted to make sure I wouldn't need to re-gear or anything major for just a 2" lift and 33s.
Your truck will be a dog with 33'' tires a buddy had them in his tacoma. Got worse mileage than my tundra, and that was bad. You'd probably need to regear to get some of it back.

I've been thinking about "more clearance" desire with bigger tires.

Something to realize. The only additional clearance will be the difference between the diameter of the tires divided by 2. It is the radial difference, that impacts the axle (vehicle ground clearance) height.

So, carefully compare the differences. You may be spending big $$ to gain 1 inch........

Last edited:
A friend of mine that had the 33'' tires had to get a lift after finding out they rubbed with the stock height, Ended up with all sorts of vibration issues afterwards. I was told it would costed him way more money that he needed different control arms to correct these issue's, plus some sort of bushing in the front axle too. At any rate he ended up with a truck that functions poorly because he was too cheap to go the whole nine yards.

Your truck would be perfectly capable of doing what you are describing (not rock crawling) as it is stock with a decent stock size AT tire What these other guys are telling you is true, you will have other issues going with bigger tires, especially 33's. (Mine ar 31.6 diameter)...

I wanted a little more aggressive look, so I went with wheels with a -10ET and upsize to a 265/70-17 tire. (Falken Wildpeak ATW3). I had to put a 2" spacer lift on it to keep the tires from rubbing in turns. This was mainly due to the -10 offset. Another thing, a lift will get rid of rubbing issues until your suspension compresses. I still kiss the mudflaps whenever I come into the driveway a little hot. Only telling you this for information so you have realistic expectations. Sticking with a wheel with 0 or more positive offset is less likely to cause rubbing issues. (more negative offset means the wheels/tires stick out further and give the truck a more aggressive stance. which is what I wanted).

Just cut the BS and admit you want a more aggressive looking truck. (Like mine ) Just kidding around :p

:cool:Lift2.jpg;)

Back