the pilot bearing...

The mileage on it is average for its age
Many reports out there on gen1 s with substantial more than 400k and drive like a well oiled machine

I think something rattles in that glovebox that I have yet to find what it is making racket :eek:

They have not made any small nofrills trucks like this in 20 years now
And more specifically 26 years starting in 1998 before wonky millennium facelifts

I was forced to take a look in 2o11 with the scare and did NOT like whut I saw out on the lots

The gen2 door rattles
The passenger seats rattles nasty if nobody sits in it
Window rattles if up all the way
Window crank squeaks something nasty when it is all nasty hot out
It only has 90k miles
Gen1 is built so much fukkn better is the honest truth

If this noise is the pilot bearing it's going to not last 100k miles :(

"Newer trucks keep getting more and more stuff in them and are way too big to really enjoy driving. I want a pickup, but so many are just huge monsters and that makes them impractical to drive and park as a daily driver. Something like this is soo much more manageable."

Yeah, whatever you say. I've had one of the last toyota 4x4 v6 pickups back in the 90's just before the gen1 tacoma was released. I'll take my gen3 tacoma over it any day. The gen3 is a joy to drive, hardly no wind noise in the cabin, no squeaks/rattles, and plenty of power when called on, plus the turning radius, and fuel economy is far better than my gen1 tundra that needed a parking lot to make a circle, and couldn't pass a gas pump....so there

i have not heard good things about the v6 3VZ engine and its mess of vacuum lines spiderWebs

Engine was fine in my extended cab truck during that time, Those later 3.0's were known as sludge motors. Biggest issue I had was rust, wheel bearings, and a cab that felt like it was built in the 70's....constant rattles with a poor ride. You were beat after a 10 hr drive. You could fall asleep in my gen3 its so civilized.

does the WHOLE bearing turn?
or just the inner part
turns ALL THE time or just when things are engaged?

Normally, a ball bearing has a press fit on either the inner race (shaft) or on the outer race (bore), NOT both.

I do have a question 'bout Jay's Gen 2. Is the same guy handling the maintenance on the Gen 2 as on the golden Gen1?? Might be a common denominator here.

FWIW, my Gem2 is pushing 145,xxx with no rattles or unusual symptoms. Quite well past 90,xxx miles. My truck's previous life was on an Iowa farm where I'm sure it was babied and well cared.

So the odd noises I was hearing in gear 2 3 4 maybe 5
At about 2100 rpm was the pilot bearing NOT spinning and grinding the input shaft instead of spinning

WHAT DOES THE PILOT BEARING DO ?
When you push your clutch pedal down to the floor the clutch disc is no longer squeezed against the flywheel . The purpose of the pilot bearing is to support the radial load of the spinning clutch disc when the clutch disc is moved away from the flywheel . A clutch disc doesnt seem heavy when you hold it in your hands , but think about when you dump your clutch at 5000 rpm hehehe . If you beleive your pilot bearing is on its way out , Its going to make noise when you have your clutch pedal pushed down .

Here is what a bad pilot bearing sounds like

Has anyone (@gearcruncher
:boink:
) come across a dimension for the R155F input shaft end, specifically where it mates the pilot bearing? Even the ID of the pilot bearing would work. Can't find anything in the FSM and my google fu is failing me.

Mine has some obvious, but not terrible wear (@160k) and I'm concerned that it may need to be replaced or sleeved so it mates with the pilot bearing correctly. Should have noticed it earlier, but of course I didn't till after the clutch/flywheel was replaced.

Best photo with me...

View attachment 42561

Grab a new pilot bearing and try slipping it onto the input shaft . Does the pilot bearing wobble when you move it back and fourth ? If yes , the input shaft needs replacement . The only time the pilot bearing is in use is when you have your clutch pedal down . The spinning clutch disc is pulled away from the flywheeel and this is when the pilot bearing begins supporting the spinning clutch disc . You will hear noise when the clutch is pushed down .
Grab a new pilot bearing and try slipping it onto the input shaft . Does the pilot bearing wobble when you move it back and fourth ? If yes , the input shaft needs replacement . The only time the pilot bearing is in use is when you have your clutch pedal down . The spinning clutch disc is pulled away from the flywheeel and this is when the pilot bearing begins supporting the spinning clutch disc . You will hear noise when the clutch is pushed down .

So the odd noises I was hearing in gear 2 3 4 maybe 5
At about 2100 rpm was the pilot bearing NOT spinning and grinding the input shaft instead of spinning
No
Because the pilot bearing does nothing whilst clutch engaged

Back