02 Tacoma AT V6 Won't shift properly after engine pressure washing

Seattle_Sign_Guy

Hello all,

I have a crazy scenario I wanted to run by you. My 2002 Tacoma Dbl Cab 3.4L Automatic 4x4 is not shifting normally after engine cleaning pressure washing.

I took my Tacoma to the local car wash and steam cleaned the engine bay. I have done this many times while leaving the engine running and have never had a problem until now. As I was leaving the car wash I noticed that the vehicle wouldn't shift out of 1st gear unless I rev it up to about 4500 rpm. My first thought was Throttle Position Sensor plug wire being wet. First, I disconnected the positive battery wire and grounded it out to drain any stored energy/memory in the computer. I disconnected the wire clip on the throttle position sensor and sure enough, there was water. I made sure all of the water was out and sprayed both sides with WD-40 then re-connected and replaced positive battery cable. Nothing has changed since I did this procedure, also I thought it strange that I am not getting a "CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" or any codes from my OBD2 scan tool. The under hood fuse box was nice and dry. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Back