08 Tacoma 2.7 burning alot of oil

bball4life

I have a 2008 Tacoma with the 4cyl 2.7 thats burning a ton of oil, no leaks, and no smoke but probably using a qt of oil every 200 miles, seen these were known for having a bad oil ring? Any chance the catalytic converter is plugged and not helping the situation ? If not what are my options ?

I would say either the piston rings need replacement or might be a simple idler issue. Check if you have a high rev during idle before opening the engine

Check your pvc valve if plugged. Other than that it's likely either the valve guides, piston rings or head gasket. The cat can end up plugged if the engine burns enough oil over time.

Oil has to be going some place...does the oil, or the coolant look like a milkshake? I've seen where those cats run so hot, the oil if passing the rings, or valve guide seals will burn clean with little, or no smoke....you'll only see it on startup.

Doubtful if the CAT is plugged. The engine would run extremely rough, if at all.

I do think something is a bit wonky here. A quart every 200 miles and unable to find the leak....... At that loss rate, the evidence would be fairly easy to find.

What mileage is on the truck?
Oil change interval?
Oil viscosity used?
Engine upgrades?
"Friends" pulling pranks?
Loose drain plug?
Loose oil filter?
Last oil change?
Did the problem begin after the last oil change?

UPDATE: so i got the tacoma with 200k on it, checked everything out when i got it, no oil leaks, wasn't smoking maybe had a very small amount of power loss, but i just figured it was a little to do with the miles and thought maybe the 4cyclinder was underpowered, not having anything to compare it with, in about 10,000 miles it slowly started losing power and was consuming tons of oil but wasn't leaking and wasnt smoking at all, seemed kinda weird, ran pretty well but as soon as i got to 3,000rpm it would bog down and had a hell of a time pulling hills, just figured the motor was getting wore out, a coworker passed me on the interstate and said it just sounded like it was choked out as he passed. Thats when i started looking at the catalytic converter, when i looked under the truck i noticed there was black suit everywhere by the cat but just kinda figured since it was burning oil it might have plugged it up some, finally got some time and pulled the exhaust off and pounded the cat out and shes running 100% better!! Still was nervous it was wore out, but i held a paper towl over the exhaust and oil fill cap and not a spec of oil on the towl, took it for a test drive and she pull hills now doing 90 and gaining speed if i want!! Hopefully itll go another 100k. My old man has a ford ranger, 4 banger and since new it has trouble doing 70 on the highway so i just figured the 4cycilders didn't have the power but the power actually surprised me on the Toyota! Knew something was up when it wasn't leaking or smoking at all, and it actually ran ok at lower rpms

Catalytic converters run upwards to a 1000 degrees. If an engine is burning oil chances are you won't see much smoke once the cat is up to temp. Smoke would be very noticeable upon startup, or engine warmup.

I have a 2008 Tacoma with the 4cyl 2.7 thats burning a ton of oil, no leaks, and no smoke but probably using a qt of oil every 200 miles, seen these were known for having a bad oil ring? Any chance the catalytic converter is plugged and not helping the situation ? If not what are my options ?

is this a manual transmission or the 4-speed automatic?

curious about the 'lack of power' comment climbing hills at higher speeds that the '11 Taco 4cyl i have been wrenching on seems to also be doing with the 4sp auto

read comments made from the updated message...

this '11 regular cab i step on the throttle in D and it goes nowhere, sucks gas probably, and starts slowing down, its a REAL suckFest :confused:
it will not pull hills at 90mph like my '97 5VZfe does

Last edited:
Even new these 160 hp 4 cyl 2.7 engines were turds. Didn't matter much if manual, or auto. It sounds like the op's 2.7 clearly has engine issues making performance much worse.

i think its this chitttty 4sp auto transmission that has the issues
MT you have the control of when where how it shifts, yes?

that is the only engine available in the regular single cab Gen2

Last edited:
i think its this chitttty 4sp auto transmission that has the issues
MT you have the control of when where how it shifts, yes?

that is the only engine available in the regular single cab Gen2
You can have control of an AT just by moving the lever........
Start at 1, then 2 when you want, then 3 when you want, then 4 when you want, then OD when you want.

If you leave it in 1, then it will not shift into 2 unless you move the gear select lever.

Automatics can be challenging to those with a fixed mindset.

Automatics are supposed to be 'Automatic' hence why they are called Automatic

Foot on the gas and let er rip... no skills involved

Last edited:
Back